Introducing new chicks

HeatherKate

Hatching
Aug 28, 2023
We had 5 hens and 1 rooster all brought home at less than a week old together. Very sadly, my son forgot to latch the coop the other night and now we have one rooster.
We had very recently purchased 3 newly hatched chicks to add to the flock and planned to keep them inside until time to start see no touch outside with them. However, now I’m very curious what to expect with just the rooster? What should we watch for? Will he be lonely while we are waiting for the babies to get big enough to introduce? At what age should we start the process of introducing them? Do things change with now there just being the one roo? Is there anything we can do to help him if he’s likely to be sad, lonely, etc?
Thank you for your help!

Uh, how old is the, I’m assuming, cockerel?

Chickens are communal animals. He’s not going to be happy alone.

If the birds are all within several weeks of age, you should be able to mix them fairly easily.

With a large established flock, we’d be talking about isolation and looking for disease or parasites.

If it’s one young cockerel with several younger chicks, I think you can get get by with introducing them with a little supervised time.

Once sexes of the new chicks are determined, you’ll have to rethink the situation. Especially if any of the new ones are cockerels too.

I reread your post. Second time, I heard the language a bit differently.

If you had an established flock and a mature roo was the only survivor, I think you may have a problem introducing new chicks.

I’ve never read about anyone either trying or succeeding at introducing chicks with JUST a mature roo.

If you had an established flock and a mature roo was the only survivor, I think you may have a problem introducing new chicks.

I’ve never read about anyone either trying or succeeding at introducing chicks with JUST a mature roo.
Oh no! This ia Cort

yes, your second read was more accurate and what I was afraid of. Do you think I should attempt to find some older hens to both help him feel not so alone and also to have a better opportunity for integrating the new chicks later?
I’m unsure what my options even might be here.

Oh no! This ia Cort

yes, your second read was more accurate and what I was afraid of. Do you think I should attempt to find some older hens to both help him feel not so alone and also to have a better opportunity for integrating the new chicks later?
I’m unsure what my options even might be here.
You’ll find a lot of information about integrating adult chickens. If you could somehow find four or so adult hens that are a cohesive unit it shouldn’t be too difficult to add him to them.

Then, skys the limit. You could eventually add chicks, let one of you hens brood/hatch, etc.

Back
Top Bottom