Changing out water and apple cider vinegar.

from my research there is no evidence that ACV is beneficial for chickens and the only proof there exists is that it was considered beneficial for human health but again there is too little evidence to back up this claim either so ACV is just a chicken myth that has cropped up over time. There is no downside to using ACV and it has got trace amounts of vitamins and it can lower the ph of the water slightly and possibly prevent bacteria growing as much but honestly there is no proof it is beneficial in the small quantities used. I just don't really bother with ACV as many others. If there were a real benefit then I would
I started using ACV to see if it would resolve the watery poop of one of my six chicks. I knew it wouldn't harm them. It seemed to work (until I put them on the grass one day in a cage; I don't do that anymore as they are too young). I'm switching over to Chick Boost Probiotic as I read it was better than ACV.

I do not use ACV anymore.. Chickens look disgusted, and think it is more a hindrance than profit.. No more than once a week, if you do I would think.. Try it yourself, you'll change your mind ASACV.. I do do.. no pun intended. Add baking soda when sour crop shows it's ugly head in the flock.. Might be one or two.. One tablespoon to gallon of water one time does the trick.. Much better than inhouse baby setting.. Scrambled eggs, which my vegetarian daughter had issue with, "You mean you are feeding them too themselves..!" doesn't work anyway, just recurs. Too oatmeal.. Baking soda does.. All things in moderation..

In the summer, I have sometimes had trouble with algae growing in the water. I use the vinegar to wash container, but just give plain water. I dump it in the summer, pretty regularly and give fresh.

I keep two gravity waters for chicks. Plain water in one and nutri drench in the other for the first week, then plain water in both, changed daily. I use blocks to raise them up and out of the bedding. I always have two, so if something happens to one, there is a back up.

During the winter in the coop, I use a three gallon heated waterer, changed daily. In the summer, I have several scattered one gallon gravity waterers in the pasture, cleaned and filled as needed. If its really cold in the winter, I will give them nutri drench once a week.

Back
Top Bottom