Changing Pine Shavings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wisers150, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Wisers150

Wisers150 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    My Coop is 8x8 and for the first covering of shaving I put it in 3 inches or so deep. I have 8 birds and was wondering if I should change all the shavings at once of 1/4 or 1/2 at a time.

2. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    My coop is 8x8' and I use the deep litter method sprinkled occationally with DE. I replace it all once a year, in the fall. It goes in the compost pile. Works for me. [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Totally entirely your choice. Do whatever seems most sensible. Then see how you like the result. If you do, keep doing it. If you don't, do it differently next time til you find an approach you're happy with [​IMG]

There are as many different ways of managing coop sanitation as there are chicken owners. More, maybe LOL

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Definitely more! I've changed my approach several times.

We seem to have settled on twice a year, based partly on compost usage. In between, I add DE or poultry dust or more pine shavings or pelletized lime (so far) to manage odor and flies, and for mites/lice.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Rate of change out should depend on number of birds, use of poop boards, and moisture problems (can be prone to mold) A shop vac does a wonderful job at clean out time [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  6. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    My coop is bigger and I have 23 birds, I clean it out once a week. Though I would do the deep litter if I could get away with it XD But its definatly what you want to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by