Changing their set-up while we're out of town?

joskt0204

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
east TN
I let my chickens out to free range about 7 a.m. - then put them up in their "tractor" at dark. This works out great, but I'm going to be gone for 4-5 days next week, and my mom will be coming to feed animals. I was thinking about putting them in my unused 10x10 chainlink, covered dog pen for those days, so my mom doesn't have to put them away at night and come back in the morning to let them out. Do you think that will mess with them too much? Especially in terms of where they lay?

Are you going to put the tractor in there? That shouldn't be a problem. My pens are in panels, so I can just open them up.

If you're not putting the tractor in the pen, it'll be a disruption for them, but I'm sure they'll get over it. I have pullets that still try every once in awhile to get into the grow out tractor they lived in several years ago. I think they'd happily go right back to the tractor when you got home.

If they're going to possibly be sleeping up against the wire at night, I'd have it covered with a smaller wire along the lower portion, to keep racoons from reaching through and killing them.

Well, I hadn't thought of that, but it might fit. That would at least allow them to keep laying in the same spot. I think they'd still go in there to sleep, but really - who knows? I don't worry much about predators as long as my dogs are out, which they will be, since I won't be here to bring them in, but you're right - better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom