Chantecler Breeder and Owner Database Project

John Blehm is sold out for 2013, I waited too long to get any from him, I am still wanting to start with the Albertans, hope to add some white next year.

I hope to get some hatching eggs from Pa in late May, and maybe some chicks if I make a spring trip to visit family in upstate NY.

By fall I am hoping to have four homestead breeds, Icelandics, Chanteclers, Iowa Blues and Delawares. There are other excellent homestead breeds, but these are the ones that I want to focus on this year, they are a full plate.

Were you able to buy chicks from them this year? I was under the impression that they would not be selling any until next year. Interesting.

I also saw on the CFI forum that they were supposedly from Blehm/Oakes, but I don't know that it was ever verified. John Blehm drove down here from Michigan a couple of years ago to get roosters from me, so it is possible that some of my birds are in the mix.
I purchased a variety of chicks from Cackle in the Happy Cackle Special. It came with 10 rare chicks , and I ended up with 4 White Chanteclers. I was very surprised since the site says they'r sold out for 2013. I did order back in the begining of February and the chicks came in April.

As of 7:15 this morning, I am the proud owner of 25 (white) chantecler chicks!

Last edited:
Very nice website, I like that they make the distinction between the White Chantecler and the Partridge Albertan !

I see them as two separate distinct breeds, and both worthy of breeding. I am hoping to add the Whites next year. Them and hopefully the RC Rhode Island Red.

I looked at it like their devotion to the health and tradition of the breed and their dedication to preserving old bloodlines.

I purchased a variety of chicks from Cackle in the Happy Cackle Special. It came with 10 rare chicks , and I ended up with 4 White Chanteclers. I was very surprised since the site says they'r sold out for 2013. I did order back in the begining of February and the chicks came in April.
You will have to let us know how they do. You might be one of the lucky ones from this year.
smile.png

We had so many setbacks because of the weather that our breeding pens were set up 2 months later than I had hoped. We do have quite a few chicks on the ground and coming up, but it appears everything planned is spoken for right now here.

Myself, along with a very few others, were the first to import the Whites into the U.S. just 3 short years ago. Greg Oakes provided the seed stock for those, so right now most everything in the country of Canadian origin (so far as I know) derives from his lines. I am planning on bringing in birds that trace back to original Oka stock in 2014. It has been confirmed, we just have to work on the logisitics of getting them out of Quebec.

Thanks ! I've been trying to read everything I can on this breed. It all turns out well, this will be a great breed for me since we live in Wisconsin with the cold winters. :)
For that reason, yes, you will like them. I've never had any issues with mine through the winter, and this last one was a doozy, wasn't it?? They are no-nonsense birds, and by that I mean that they are very businesslike in the egg laying department, as well as being wonderful table fare. I've never had a bad rooster, either. Always the good guys.

Cool!

Back
Top Bottom