Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Stacykins...it won't be long until you know their sex for certain. 2 of my buffs that hatched on March 19th started crowing at 10 weeks old. And luckily, I had already picked one out as a cull already, so I'm happy that it's a roo.
smile.png

I got a call this evening from Sandhill. My white chanteclers are on their way. Any one else get whites from Sandhill? How are they growing out? How do they differ frm the other colors?

Quote:
I'll blushingly answer that for Stacykins...she hatched her buff chicks from my Chanty eggs.
big_smile.png

And Stacykins...I'm going to bet that the chick in the second pic is a roo.
wink.png

Whew. That's what I was thinking. They have such a different comb from the other birds I have, that I thought my pullet was a cockerel from week 4...but I guess he is a SHE! Glad to see someone else posting buffs! Hard to find pictures of them. Here is Gingersnap at 10 or 11 weeks. Woot!
65263_am_chicks_10_weeks_13.jpg

Quote:
I'll blushingly answer that for Stacykins...she hatched her buff chicks from my Chanty eggs.
big_smile.png

And Stacykins...I'm going to bet that the chick in the second pic is a roo.
wink.png

Whew. That's what I was thinking. They have such a different comb from the other birds I have, that I thought my pullet was a cockerel from week 4...but I guess he is a SHE! Glad to see someone else posting buffs! Hard to find pictures of them. Here is Gingersnap at 10 or 11 weeks. Woot!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_am_chicks_10_weeks_13.jpg

Everytime I see them, I just fall a little harder for them Gingersnap has such a beautiful pose. What pretty birds.

With my buff chicks, another telltale sign of a cockerel is the stance. When they're young , the cockerels tend to stand more "at attention" with their tails held more upright. The pullets seem to be more relaxed. At least that's what I've learned from my own stock.

dldolan...you've definitely got yourself a pullet. The stance is just too "chilled out" to be a roo.
lau.gif
Very pretty girl, btw.
wink.png

Last edited:
What ShelleyB said, hopefully my pics are a positive advertisement
big_smile.png

I'll have to start paying attention to how they hold themselves! Each one has a different colored leg band (zip tie
lol.png
) so I can tell them apart visually, though I can tell most of them apart personality wise. I kinda have an idea of who may be male, but it is still up in the air.

Oh my gosh, so like, in the last 24 hours, it seems like most of their cushion combs turned cherry red and got a bigger. Like, in five of the six. I hope I don't have 5 boys and 1 girl, like I did with the six black australorps I hatched
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom