Chantecler Thread!

Pics
I GOT MY FIRST EVER CHANTECLER EGG TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, a little excited....I have 4 pullets that are SEVEN months old, and I finally got the first egg today.
big_smile.png

(Next to a d'Uccle egg for size/color comparison)
15879_first2011egg.jpg

Perfect timing, because they are moving in with their sugar-daddy next week:
15879_040811132346.jpg

Quote:
Congrats! What color variety are the hens you will be breeding the crele cock to? Is he brown or duckwing based?

Quote:
mine are at 25+ weeks now and nothing yet, I only have the one Buff Chante hen, culled 3 roosters and kept the huge boy, he's happier than a pig in muck, he has a variety of 12 ladies to keep happy.

Last edited:
Quote:
Congrats! What color variety are the hens you will be breeding the crele cock to? Is he brown or duckwing based?

I have partridge pullets. He came out of partridge x partridge breeding, and the breeder had never had any others like him. Technically I suppose he is a barred partridge. I am hoping to get some female offspring with barring to breed back to him...we'll see what happens...
fl.gif

Quote:
Just stumbled upon this thread and had to chuckle at this question. We have only 2 chanteclers, - both buff, and while I cannot offer comparison to partridge or orpingtons, at least 1 of our buffs has been broody at all times! They've been taking turns since last spring, and I tried everything I know to break them. Now I just let them sit. I'm really hoping that winter puts an end to this never-ending broodiness!

Does anyone here have any idea of how many of the White Chantecler that there are now in the US ? In breeders? The Partridge ?

Jake

Last edited:
Well, I am weighing that, will have room to add one more breed, I am adding the Iowa Blue, and another European one but looking for another American Heritage Homestead breed. Got a month or two to decide. Building sheds now. Its kind of between the Chantecler and another. I do include Canadian breeds in with American, we're all in this together on our poultry.

At what age are you all seeing the Chantecler starting to lay?

Back
Top Bottom