Chantecler Thread!

Being from Quebec, the Whites should be an easy choice for you. They were created right there in your province in the early part of the 20th century. Have you read their history? There is a French speaking organization in Quebec that has as its purpose the preservation and protection of the White Chantecler. Can't tell you a whole lot more about it, but I'm sure there are those here who can.
It is so refreshing to finally see a distinct separation, from Albertan and Quebec (Chantecler)
It has to have been horrid, having all chickens bred in Canada, referred to in some description, as "Chanteclers" !
Awesome !

Being from Quebec, the Whites should be an easy choice for you. They were created right there in your province in the early part of the 20th century. Have you read their history? There is a French speaking organization in Quebec that has as its purpose the preservation and protection of the White Chantecler. Can't tell you a whole lot more about it, but I'm sure there are those here who can.
yes, but you see, the wife is from alberta.. haha

i debated that and just let them intermix, but truth is i would like to breed one and cull the bad genes out and help the community.. if i let them mix.. kinda wont work will it?

I am in Alberta and my Partridge choose to go out most days so far. It is the strong wind that seems to keep them in on the odd day. We are newly moved here but in BC temps would go down to -30s and the birds would go out in the covered runs everyday and I would shovel paths and they would 'free range' in the paths most days. They were not phased by the cold at all.

kk, i think your post settled it for me. thanks coopslave, we'll get partridge ones.

now i need to find people in ontario with day-olds in the spring.

can you ship some via same day shipping? just curious. since you're canadian? id like to get stock from a few different bloodlines.

Good day everyone...

I just tumble on this thread and glad to see people in the States breedeing the Chantecler. I have read almost all the comments but wnated to step in before the end to clear a couple of things if you don't mind.

The Chantecler subject here in Quebec is a hot one. Often having breeders arguing to know if it is a ¨real¨ Chantecler talking about the line. The Chantecler was almost desapear from the Quebec territory with the coming of big industrial laying hen...

it was first develop to give farmers fresh eggs all year in hard winter conditions and good meat so 2 purposes in 1 chicken...

Don't forget one thing though, since the Chantelcer war for giving eggs all winter and a good quantity over a year, you are not looking for a broody hen wish is a default in the breed. When the hen go broody well she can't lay. That's why Chantelcer breeders often have artificial bators or, like me, Silkies to hatch those eggs.

I know a breeder that drive the Quebec road to find old line of Chantecler that sometimes, you can still find in old farms. He developp his line looking to be as close as possible to the old type...

For us the Chantelcer...well...is white...

The partridge one should have been called the Albertaine....

The buff no interest and please, don't talk to a Chantelcer breeders here about bantam Chantecler you will be laminated....The Chantecler breeder often have only this breed and are very dedicated to it. You won't see them often on forums and less often in expos where the biosecurity is often low.

We have have 2 or 3 good lines that used to be looked for here. The poultry association gave 10 poultry breeders eggs and birds to start to spread the Chantecler and keep it alive. But unfortunatly hard to know who those personns are...

When breeding the Chantelcer you have to be very cautious of the subject you will keep. We often see high tails, pale legs, big combs and wattles...lack of round chest...short body...As for the yellow legs you will notice that if your birds free range the leggs become yellower almost orange....if not, give them corn...

Baby chick can hatch with green legs. Even if Frere Wilfrid doesn't tallk about the hicks legs, the breeders usally don't reproduce those babies even if when the chick gets older and the legs change color to yellow.....on that point I don't totally agree for this reason....the legs change colors so in my opinions could stay in the breeding programm but it is another subject I guess...

Here I'm a beginner since we moved 2 years ago on a farm. the first thing I did was to buy Chantecler birds. So I'm working on my foundation birds....

Isabelle

Back
Top Bottom