Chantecler Thread!

They obtained breeding stock from Greg Oakes of Ontario, Canada, who is one of the directors of Chantecler Fanciers International. Part of their stock also came through John Blehm of Michigan, whose stock originated from Greg. There might be a bit of Sandhill Preservation stock involved as well, but not much. The problem with any large hatchery is that they must raise in large quantities, which means they might not cull as closely as the average breeder. CFI maintains a Breeders Directory. But hatchery birds are usually less expensive to purchase, and if you order enough and cull carefully you could end up with a nice flock.

They obtained breeding stock from Greg Oakes of Ontario, Canada, who is one of the directors of Chantecler Fanciers International. Part of their stock also came through John Blehm of Michigan, whose stock originated from Greg. There might be a bit of Sandhill Preservation stock involved as well, but not much. The problem with any large hatchery is that they must raise in large quantities, which means they might not cull as closely as the average breeder. CFI maintains a Breeders Directory. But hatchery birds are usually less expensive to purchase, and if you order enough and cull carefully you could end up with a nice flock.
Thank you! I was thinking I'd probably be able to buy more chicks if I ordered through Cackle, and thus would be able to be more selective in what I kept. I'm going to focus on just the one breed -- it concerns me to see how many breeders only have one pair or trio of birds (and many other breeds, which sometimes inadvertently get crossed in). Trying to figure out what would be a good outcross to get some size back in the Whites, without losing any of the essential characteristics of the breed. I don't show (I would if I could, but as far as I know, there aren't any poultry shows within reasonable driving distance, and I can't do overnight trips as I have goats to milk), just want to preserve their homestead value and even improve it if I can.

Kathleen

Thank you! I was thinking I'd probably be able to buy more chicks if I ordered through Cackle, and thus would be able to be more selective in what I kept. I'm going to focus on just the one breed -- it concerns me to see how many breeders only have one pair or trio of birds (and many other breeds, which sometimes inadvertently get crossed in). Trying to figure out what would be a good outcross to get some size back in the Whites, without losing any of the essential characteristics of the breed. I don't show (I would if I could, but as far as I know, there aren't any poultry shows within reasonable driving distance, and I can't do overnight trips as I have goats to milk), just want to preserve their homestead value and even improve it if I can.

Kathleen

Kathleen,

I started with birds that I got from Greg Oakes a few years ago and was able to source birds from other breeders as well. My original rooster weighs 9 lbs, and within 2 generations, I had at least one rooster weighing 10lbs., with 8 or more being the norm. This year I grew out around 200 birds, and over 50% look like they will average 8 or more at 6 months, and one breeding seems to have faster maturity and heavier breast size. One to watch, as I am trying to develop at least 3 lines to work with. So, the genetics are out there, and it can certainly be done. I am in a position to be able to hatch out a lot of birds, and that helps. You really don't need to outcross with anything to get size back. I do not ship live birds, but should have hatching eggs next spring. This year we got really behind because our building projects were not getting done, but (fingers crossed) we will be in a better place next year. I am interested in this bird for its homestead qualities as well, and my selection process includes not only a nod to the SOP, but I evaluate my breeders using the guidelines established by the Livestock Conservancy for production values. I don't profess to be any kind of expert, but am passionate about preserving the dual purpose breeds for just that. Dual Purpose. The White Chantecler is just an awesome breed for many reasons. Great foragers, good layers and tasty meat.

Chances are, if you have the room to do a lot of hatching, you should be able to start making some decent selections from Cackle's stock. The information for choosing birds based on production values is on the Livestock Conservancy website.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

can you ship some via same day shipping? just curious. since you're canadian? id like to get stock from a few different bloodlines.

Sorry, just saw this now. I don't get on here very often.
Contact me in the spring. I have to say I don't often sell eggs or day olds. I still think there is so much work to do, I am happier supplying pullets and cockerels so I know the quality I am passing on.
Stay in contact and we may be able to do something.

Kathleen,

I started with birds that I got from Greg Oakes a few years ago and was able to source birds from other breeders as well. My original rooster weighs 9 lbs, and within 2 generations, I had at least one rooster weighing 10lbs., with 8 or more being the norm. This year I grew out around 200 birds, and over 50% look like they will average 8 or more at 6 months, and one breeding seems to have faster maturity and heavier breast size. One to watch, as I am trying to develop at least 3 lines to work with. So, the genetics are out there, and it can certainly be done. I am in a position to be able to hatch out a lot of birds, and that helps. You really don't need to outcross with anything to get size back. I do not ship live birds, but should have hatching eggs next spring. This year we got really behind because our building projects were not getting done, but (fingers crossed) we will be in a better place next year. I am interested in this bird for its homestead qualities as well, and my selection process includes not only a nod to the SOP, but I evaluate my breeders using the guidelines established by the Livestock Conservancy for production values. I don't profess to be any kind of expert, but am passionate about preserving the dual purpose breeds for just that. Dual Purpose. The White Chantecler is just an awesome breed for many reasons. Great foragers, good layers and tasty meat.

Chances are, if you have the room to do a lot of hatching, you should be able to start making some decent selections from Cackle's stock. The information for choosing birds based on production values is on the Livestock Conservancy website.

Good luck!
big_smile.png
Thank you for that information! That helps a lot. I already have the info on choosing birds, have had it on hand for several years. I was seriously considering Buckeyes (have had a few before and liked them, but raccoons got them before they started to lay), but in going through the Buckeye thread a lot of people mentioned that their birds stopped laying in the winter. I really want eggs in the winter! Anyway, when I first was considering those, I printed off the info from the ALBC.

I've been in contact with Cackle since I first posted, and they say they'll have prices up for the White Chanteclers probably in mid-December, and they expect to limit orders to fifteen chicks. I may make two orders, if they don't have the price up too high.

I don't have as much room as I'd like, but I can raise fifty to a hundred chicks per year, planning on putting the culls in the freezer (or canning jars -- canned chicken is very handy sometimes!). We are quite rural and I don't trust the P.O. much as far as getting either hatching eggs or baby chicks here safely, so hopefully this project won't be a bust from the beginning.

Kathleen

Last edited:
Kathleen I got mine from Denise at Blackhorse and they are great I love them. My favorite is the Rooster "Pierre La Toque" He is already dwarfing my biggest rooster a barred rock. They are going to be great Dual purpose birds and I can't wait until next year to eat a few and get my flock going strong. Thanks again Denise.

Kathleen I got mine from Denise at Blackhorse and they are great I love them. My favorite is the Rooster "Pierre La Toque" He is already dwarfing my biggest rooster a barred rock. They are going to be great Dual purpose birds and I can't wait until next year to eat a few and get my flock going strong. Thanks again Denise.
That sounds good! I was debating back and forth between the Whites and the Partridge/Albertan; read this whole thread hoping to find something that would help me make up my mind! It seemed like a few people were finding the Whites to be smaller than the Partridge, so I'm glad to hear that's not the case.

Kathleen

My partridge males are typically about 8.5 to 9 lbs by the age of seven months. The partridge females usually do not start to lay as early as the whites however. But to me, the correct partridge coloring presents much more of a challenge and is more interesting for that reason. Plus whites are prone to manure stains. Each have their place depending on the preferences and priorities of their owners. I believe the buffs are making great progress and will be recognized by the APA within the next 5 to 7 years. A good buff is hard to beat for looks, and mine lay large to jumbo sized eggs once past the pullet stage.

Back
Top Bottom