Chantecler Thread!

Since the rose comb gene (R) is known to reduce sperm viability it won't take as long as for single comb or pea comb breeds. Chanteclers carry the genes for both rose comb and pea comb. The combination is what makes a cushion comb, which is what is required for the Chantecler breed. That makes things a little more complicated. I believe two weeks is probably adequate, but would give it three to be sure.

Brrrr. You know it’s cold when you see a Chantecler shiver! Okay, it was a lone 2.5 month old cockerel that flew his coop at windchill of -20. hehehe
How is everyone else doing?

I got some photos of some of the youngsters. I'm looking forward to seeing this batch grow up.

One of our older groups this year. I managed to coax them onto our scale with the help of some lady-locks. The gluttons (I mean pullets)
are 6.5 - 8 pounds.

Thanks so much for sharing! Some of the pullets really look like they have great backs and tails on them. Some nice heads and yellow legs in there too. I look forward to seeing them when they are grown up.
I find some of them that I like as pullets I don't like as much at 2 and some that are so so really blossom with that second mature moult!!

Since the rose comb gene (R) is known to reduce sperm viability it won't take as long as for single comb or pea comb breeds. Chanteclers carry the genes for both rose comb and pea comb. The combination is what makes a cushion comb, which is what is required for the Chantecler breed. That makes things a little more complicated. I believe two weeks is probably adequate, but would give it three to be sure.
Would you expand on this a bit?? Does this mean that sometimes a rose comb will pop up and sometimes a pea comb?? Meaning if each bird carries one of each then 50% would have the cuhsion comb, but 25% the pea and 25% the rose?

Question, I'm in the PNW and I've been trying to find some good LF White Chanteclers. I contacted one highly recommended breeder who during our discussion mentioned that he vaccinates at hatch for Marek's as the chicks are very susceptible. I had not heard this before, is this common with this breed or more line/strain specific?

Back
Top Bottom