Chantecler Thread!

Would you expand on this a bit?? Does this mean that sometimes a rose comb will pop up and sometimes a pea comb?? Meaning if each bird carries one of each then 50% would have the cuhsion comb, but 25% the pea and 25% the rose?

Yes, when you mate up two breeders that are both hetero for P and R there will rose combs and pea combs and even single combs in their offspring. When breeders are "pure" (homozygous) for P and R, meaning they carry two copies of each gene, all chicks will have cushion combs. P and R are inherited independently of each other. Play around with Punnet squares and you will quickly discover all the different genetic combinations and probabilities of each. Fun stuff, but probably a little beyond the scope of many BYC readers.

Last edited:
Question, I'm in the PNW and I've been trying to find some good LF White Chanteclers. I contacted one highly recommended breeder who during our discussion mentioned that he vaccinates at hatch for Marek's as the chicks are very susceptible. I had not heard this before, is this common with this breed or more line/strain specific?
It's most likely a regional thing. He may have a heavy load of Marek's in his local soil and his birds might be particularly susceptible to it.

This may help a bit.....

Walnut comb is just another name for cushion comb. Just a few different modifiers.
THis is perfect! I've never seen this graph.

What are the modifiers or number of modifiers that effect the wlnut comb to make it a cushion comb. Or did I miss understand this and a cushion comb IS a walnut comb?

THis is how the single comb can hide for generations. Funny I was looking at my olive egger today and wondered why he had a single comb. Now I know.

I am sorry, I just moved recently and all my books are still in a box somewhere. I believe the walnut comb can be a little rougher and needs modifiers to smooth it out but genetically walnut and cushion are the same thing. The Malay has a similar comb but I am not sure if it is called walnut or cushion.

Good catch Riddle me. I didn't really pay attention to the single comb over there as it really had not interest for me! lol

I am sorry, I just moved recently and all my books are still in a box somewhere.  I believe the walnut comb can be a little rougher and needs modifiers to smooth it out but genetically walnut and cushion are the same thing.  The Malay has a similar comb but I am not sure if it is called walnut or cushion.

Good catch Riddle me.  I didn't really pay attention to the single comb over there as it really had not interest for me!  lol
Thanks, I enjoy genetics and have seen that Punnett square before. :) I believe you are correct, the walnut and cushion combs are genetically the same with the exception of the "smooth" modifier for the cushion comb (I'm sure there's a technical name, just don't remember it). But it's the same modifier that will reduce the number of points in a single comb or eliminate the bumps and spike on a rose comb.

A proper cushion comb is smooth, without fissures or wrinkles. A walnut comb is similar to cushion, but is not smooth, as portrayed in RiddleMe's photo of a Spangled Orloff in the preceding post.
They both have both R and P, but modifiers change the shape. Another example is Strawberry comb, also a combination of R and P. But it has more the shape and texture of a strawberry, as it comes to somewhat of a blunt point in back. That said, there are many Chanteclers lacking the good smooth cushion comb, even though they possess both R and P.

Back
Top Bottom