Chantecler Thread!

A proper cushion comb is smooth, without fissures or wrinkles. A walnut comb is similar to cushion, but is not smooth, as portrayed in RiddleMe's photo of a Spangled Orloff in the preceding post.
They both have both R and P, but modifiers change the shape. Another example is Strawberry comb, also a combination of R and P. But it has more the shape and texture of a strawberry, as it comes to somewhat of a blunt point in back. That said, there are many Chanteclers lacking the good smooth cushion comb, even though they possess both R and P.
How would you go about improving/bringing back the smooth small combs?
I just recently started up a flock of standard sized Partridge Chanteclers and most if not all the roosters have those wrinkled/fizzured combs you mentioned. Also noticed some have a crease horizontally through the middle forming something that looks like a double cushion comb. Some of the hens seem to have better combs but I'm not sure how I would go about isolating those characteristics in the presence of the males poor comb...wouldn't he pass it on as a dominant characteristic to his progeny?

This is just a personal opinon, but until the rest of the bird is how you want it, the comb should not be the first thing you breed for. Make sure you keep it in mind in your breeding pens, but until you have Shape first, and then feather, size and productivity, I don't think comb should never be a direct culling item until you have the shape of the bird solid.

I try not to use really ugly combed roosters, but I have and I have also found their sons are an improvement on them.

There is so much work to do on this breed to get it consistent, please don't ignore the size and shape of the bird for the little things that can be improved later.

I just recently started up a flock of standard sized Partridge Chanteclers and most if not all the roosters have those wrinkled/fizzured combs you mentioned. Also noticed some have a crease horizontally through the middle forming something that looks like a double cushion comb. Some of the hens seem to have better combs but I'm not sure how I would go about isolating those characteristics in the presence of the males poor comb...wouldn't he pass it on as a dominant characteristic to his progeny?

This is just a personal opinon, but until the rest of the bird is how you want it, the comb should not be the first thing you breed for. Make sure you keep it in mind in your breeding pens, but until you have Shape first, and then feather, size and productivity, I don't think comb should never be a direct culling item until you have the shape of the bird solid.

I try not to use really ugly combed roosters, but I have and I have also found their sons are an improvement on them.

There is so much work to do on this breed to get it consistent, please don't ignore the size and shape of the bird for the little things that can be improved later.
You can sort of work on them at the same time. You choose your breeders according to type and size, then along with color you can narrow your choices down to just a few to breed from. Out of those few, all other considerations being more or less equal, choose the ones with the best combs. Female's combs make a positive influence on the male's progeny. I've experienced it in my own flock.

Look for small improvements over time, being careful not to forget everything else that is important in the process. Pay particular attention to the combs on the females you select to breed from. Try to use females with extra small, flat combs and tiny wattles. Hatch and raise as many as you have room for, and then cull hard, especially the males. You may want to keep extra females for layers, but be very selective as to which go in the breeding pen. If you don't have a separate pen for the breeders you will need to cull the females extra hard as well. Do not fixate on the combs. Pay close attention to body weights, thriftiness, growth rates, rates of lay, body shape, temperament, and coloring. Poultry breeding is more than a walk in the park. It is not for everybody, so consider purchasing better stock if it is not worth the bother to you.

Last edited:
HOw do you track rate of lay?? I Get the bother of trap nesting . . and I understnad looking up her skirts to see if she is laying, but as to HOW MANY-- this has me puzzled.

Keeping in mind that this is a winterlayer and shoucl/ could/oughta be laying year round . . . .

32 day-olds will be ordered today of Partridge chantecler. to arrive early june

i'll introduce a nice looking rooster every couple years before growing a "new crop" of hens and see how i can manage the breed.

Last edited:
Curious, how you arrived at 32 for a number to order chicks?? Did you have a breeding plan in mind that utilized 32?? Just curious.
well i plan on keeping about 16 hens, im hoping 32 gives me that ;]

my breeding plan is almost non existent

Back
Top Bottom