Chantecler Thread!

"THis is a great reminder. Without the correct body with its structure and shape, all else is window dressing.
All the parts work together to make the whole bird. Does everyone have the SOP? IMO even if your main purpose is food via roasts and eggs, why not be aware of the SOP and breed toward it year over year as you are breeding anyway. Without a little thoughtful breeding pressure, the genetics of a flock will move away from the SOP."

The quote function wasn't working for some reason, but yes, of course one must breed to the SOP. What seems to happen, or least what I've seen happen over and over is that the whole bird often gets neglected if you don't consider the utility aspects - as well as the SOP. It seems as though the great majority of people only look at the outside of the bird, even with these great dual-purpose breeds.
A package deal for sure. Production and SOP. TOok me a long time to find birds that met both requirements. I have learned to be careful of those that only breed to the SOP, and conversely. Though ultimately, good production is my goal. IMO keeping a flock on track is a real challenge and the more chicks hatched and raised for use ( meat and eggs) the better opportunity to keep to the SOP. ( THis is based on just a few years of trying to raise chickens.)Many of the dual purpose birds lost their purposesince the cornish x overtook the commercial production. As I"m looking for a farm bird and not high production. there are a few breeds out there that people are working on, including the chantie.

Sounds like copyright infringement, but who knows? I'm checking with the APA to find out.
For the new versions it might be. I downloaded an older version and there is no copyright infringement issues. As it is posted on the download.
Or you can still download the newest version and pay for it and still have it instantly. E-books are always less expensive also.

Back
Top Bottom