Chantecler Thread!

How do you stop them?

Start by collecting eggs often, so they have none to sit on. When you get one that wants to set in a nest overnight, pull it from the pen immediately and put it in a small pen or cage with a wire floor so it cannot build a nest. When they stop clucking they are ready to go back with the flock. In warmer weather they can be dunked in cool water to hasten the process. Ever heard the phrase, "madder than a wet hen?"

Quote:
lau.gif

34 day olds arriving end of may, anyone have advice?

how large should i start the brooder? how large should i increase it and how often? what type of feed? is the feed at TSC good enough? should i enhance it? what should i watch for?

ive not had chickens in years. and chicks were always raised by their mothers, i think i may have raised one by myself when i was a kid..thats the last time ;]

Start your brooder temp at about 95 degrees nearest the heat source, but make sure they have plenty of room to move away the heat to find their own comfort zone, which will change with the room temperature and as they grow. You can lower the temp a little each week until they are all feathered out. I like to start mine on lukewarm water with a little brown sugar dissolved in it for an extra boost after the trip. Don't give them ice cold water. Also, I start my chicks on the "Quick-1 minute" oatmeal (the flakes are smaller than regular oatmeal). After a few days start to mix in some commercial medicated (with amprolium) chick starter. The medication will help them develop an immunity to coccidiosis. Avoiding cold water and giving the oatmeal will help prevent them from pasting up behind. Good luck!

Last edited:
Start your brooder temp at about 95 degrees nearest the heat source, but make sure they have plenty of room to move away the heat to find their own comfort zone, which will change with the room temperature and as they grow. You can lower the temp a little each week until they are all feathered out. I like to start mine on lukewarm water with a little brown sugar dissolved in it for an extra boost after the trip. Don't give them ice cold water. Also, I start my chicks on the "Quick-1 minute" oatmeal (the flakes are smaller than regular oatmeal). After a few days start to mix in some commercial medicated (with amprolium) chick starter. The medication will help them develop an immunity to coccidiosis. Avoiding cold water and giving the oatmeal will help prevent them from pasting up behind. Good luck!
thanks much.

and..chick starter?

the one i saw at TSC was called "rolling acres" and the label was a green bag for chick starter.

this any good? should i add something else?

and you start them on quick 1 minute oats? how much do you give? all they can eat? and.. how long of a transition do you do to a chick starter feed? by 2 weeks you have them on full starter? or earlier? later?

Almost any commercial chick starter should be fine, just make sure it is medicated with amprolium - or be prepared to treat your birds for coccidiosis when they get older.
Give the chicks as much quick-oats as they want. After 5 or 6 days, start mixing in some of the commercial starter, being careful they don't waste too much by pooping in it.
By the age of 2 weeks they should be on 100% chick starter. The exact amount of time is not too critical, and you may get some pasting up anyway if they get too hot or too cold.
If that happens just gently remove it so they don't get totally plugged up which would prevent them from defecating. If it is really stuck on tight so you can't remove it without ripping their skin, try soaking their butts in warm soapy water, then brush it away with an old tooth brush when it softens up enough to do so. A little common sense goes a long way.

Almost any commercial chick starter should be fine, just make sure it is medicated with amprolium - or be prepared to treat your birds for coccidiosis when they get older.
Give the chicks as much quick-oats as they want. After 5 or 6 days, start mixing in some of the commercial starter, being careful they don't waste too much by pooping in it.
By the age of 2 weeks they should be on 100% chick starter. The exact amount of time is not too critical, and you may get some pasting up anyway if they get too hot or too cold.
If that happens just gently remove it so they don't get totally plugged up which would prevent them from defecating. If it is really stuck on tight so you can't remove it without ripping their skin, try soaking their butts in warm soapy water, then brush it away with an old tooth brush when it softens up enough to do so. A little common sense goes a long way.
thanks much.
if i have 34 day olds. and im raising them. what should my success rate me? how many should make it to 6 months?

whats pasting up? their poopers being clogged up? i used to use a hot water cloth and gently clean them.

Give the chicks as much quick-oats as they want.  After 5 or 6 days, start mixing in some of the commercial starter, being careful they don't waste too much by pooping in it.
  By the age of 2 weeks they should be on 100% chick starter.  The exact amount of time is not too critical, and you may get some pasting up anyway if they get too hot or too cold.
  If that happens just gently remove it so they don't get totally plugged up which would prevent them from defecating.  If it is really stuck on tight so you can't remove it without ripping their skin, try soaking their butts in warm soapy water, then brush it away with an old tooth brush when it softens up enough to do so.   A little common sense goes a long way.

Thanks for this I just brought mine home and noticed one looks plugged up, they still seem very vibrant racing around and eating/drinking
like normal. Going to catch that one and see if i can get him/her cleaned up before bed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom