Chantecler Thread!

can you tell the sex of partridge chicks by there stripes/down colour?
The chicks I hatch with yellow heads and a light stripe on the head are males. Almost, all the very dark brown headed chicks I hatch are females. Leg color and size is also a good indicator. The males have thicker yellow legs, while the pullets have yellow legs with brown dusting.

On a rare occasion, I hatch cockerels with the dark heads and legs. I cull them, as they don't mature into the proper coloration.

The chicks with in-between colors, are harder to sex. But, give them a couple of weeks and they will be easy to sex by their feather color.

Last edited:
The chicks I hatch with yellow heads and a light stripe on the head are males.  Almost, all the very dark brown headed chicks I hatch are females.  Leg color and size is also a good indicator.  The males have thicker yellow legs, while the pullets have yellow legs with brown dusting.  

On a rare occasion, I hatch cockerels with the dark heads and legs. I cull them, as they don't mature into the proper coloration.   

The chicks with in-between colors, are harder to sex.  But, give them a couple of weeks and they will be easy to sex by their feather color.

Thank you very much! About half of them do have red heads and that's what got me wondering :) I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight :)

Thank you very much! About half of them do have red heads and that's what got me wondering
smile.png
I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight
smile.png
When I first started raising PC, I banded them, then I weighed and took notes and pictures of them weekly. It gave me a lot of insight into my bloodline. If you can keep track of the individuals, and their growth pattern, it will probably aid you in the future.

Everything varies within each strain, but the breed in general is supposed to go broody. A rather large portion of my Partridge Chanteclers go broody, usually during late to mid summer. I'm not sure what the weather is like where you live, but I don't let my hens go broody at this time of year as it is to cold.

Hi...

I know that the question has been ask for Buff and the response add the Partridge, but as far as the Chantecler (original one) had been develop, brooding has to be avoid since when the hen go broody, she is not laying and we are looking for good layers.Just wanted to differenciate the 3 of them ;)

isabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy442

It would be nice to see a post of chick pictures of the three colors available.

Here is partridge and buff. White chicks range from smokey white to yellow.

Back
Top Bottom