Chantecler Thread!

About a month ago I received my order of 2 dozen LF Partridge Chantecler hatching eggs from Kim Peterson of Montana. A total of 26 eggs were received, all in very good condition. Three weeks later those eggs produced 23 chicks, only two of which did not have the required cushion comb. I could not have asked for better results from eggs shipped halfway across the country. Kim is listed in the CFI Breeders Directory.

About a month ago I received my order of 2 dozen LF Partridge Chantecler hatching eggs from Kim Peterson of Montana. A total of 26 eggs were received, all in very good condition. Three weeks later those eggs produced 23 chicks, only two of which did not have the required cushion comb. I could not have asked for better results from eggs shipped halfway across the country. Kim is listed in the CFI Breeders Directory.

Wow, an amazing hatch rate for shipped eggs !

About a month ago I received my order of 2 dozen LF Partridge Chantecler hatching eggs from Kim Peterson of Montana.   A total of 26 eggs were received, all in very good condition.   Three weeks later those eggs produced 23 chicks, only two of which did not have the required cushion comb.    I could not have asked for better results from eggs shipped halfway across the country.   Kim is listed in the CFI Breeders Directory.  
That's an amazing hatch rate! I actually looked at her birds, I liked that she's close-ish, but specifically wanted LF white. Ordered from Gina Neta so hoping I will get some nice chicks.

Hi There,

The Chantecler breed is an excellent choice as a laying hen. They are peaceful and sweet and each season a couple go 'broody' for me. (They have raised mostly other birds for me...guineas, and pheasants, and make excellent natural 'moms'.)
Best of all they are very hardy; need no extra heat nor light in my area (middle Ontario, plant hardiness zone 4 if that helps?). I house them in winter and at night and free range during the day (in good weather).

I cannot attest to their suitability as a meat bird, as I have never eaten one (being semi-vegetarian). Mine have continued good laying until into their fifth or sixth year; which is exceptional for layers of other breeds I have tried!

The only issue I have ever had is that one rooster I obtained last year from another farm (I purposely sought out an un-related roo); and he has become very aggressive. The ones I have raised myself are tame and kind.
This is in no way a reflection upon the Chantecler breed! I think it can happen with any bird/animal, and have hopes that I can work it out with him!

Have fun with them!!
smile.png

16 White Chantecler chicks arrived today from Chackle Hatchery in fine condition. After last winter, having two Jersey Giant roos loose their comb points due to freezing, figured that the Chanteclers won't have that problem. Next will see how many are pullets.

16 White Chantecler chicks arrived today from Chackle Hatchery in fine condition. After last winter, having two Jersey Giant roos loose their comb points due to freezing, figured that the Chanteclers won't have that problem. Next will see how many are pullet
let me know how many survive? im curious how many should survive % wise

Ken, those chicks look great. Last year I got a few white Chantecler chicks from a Michigan breeder, and love them! I did have a few human aggressive cockrels, and they taste really good. Hope to get more, and I'm very interested in how the Cackle birds turn out. Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly's place

Ken, those chicks look great. Last year I got a few white Chantecler chicks from a Michigan breeder, and love them! I did have a few human aggressive cockrels, and they taste really good. Hope to get more, and I'm very interested in how the Cackle birds turn out. Mary

The Cackle Hatchery stock came from a Michigan breeder - primarily from John Blehm. John is concentrating on the buff and partridge varieties now, along with Ameraucanas, and plans to offer chicks again in 2015. He is only shipping Ameraucanas this year.

Last edited:
My birds came from John last year; they were some of his cull day old chicks. I don't show, so they worked great for me, and are lovely birds. I do like the whites the best, but resisted the Cackle hatchery order temptation this year, hoping for more Blehm birds instead. Mary

Back
Top Bottom