Chantecler Thread!

Wow- some of those birds look exactly like Welsummers (except the comb & eggs). I was surprised that wasn't in the list of birds used to make them
tongue.png

Quote:
you have 2 hens, and the other may be partge mixed with buff ?

I hope there is no mix, but I agree that he (or she) doesn't look like the other partridge chantecler pictures I have seen.

Quote:
It would appear that the one on the farthest right is a pullet. The middle one at the top is most likely a pullet. The last one on the bottom left definitely has poor feathering and is therefore the most difficult to sex. I'm leaning to pullet for that last one. Did you get these chicks from a hatchery or a private owner?

chickensducks&agoose, Partridge Chanteclers go through several changes in feathering before their final colours, especially the cockerels.

8262_chanteclers_october_2009_017.jpg

This is my rooster at 1.5 years old, taken this November.
8262_fenella_prudence_esme_harriet_l_to_r_9_weeks_2.jpg

The cockerel on the far right is the same rooster at 9 weeks of age.
8262_patridge_chanteclers_-_6_weeks_028.jpg

This is him at 6 weeks of age.
8262_2009_hatch_084.jpg

Three cockerels are in a perpendicular line in the middle of the photo, with two pullets on both the right and left sides. As you can see, some cockerels can be feathered with lots of black from an early age. This will also change overtime and predicting the final colouring of a cockerel is very challenging.
8262_2009_hatch_073.jpg

8262_2009_hatch_076.jpg

The pullet on the left was hatched from eggs I received from Ontario and is an example of poor feathering. The pullet on the right has very good feathering.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. These did not come from a hatchery, they were hatched from eggs I got from a private source. I'll try to add pictures every few weeks to get updated opinions.

I love these! You all have such nice birds.

I for some reason thought they only came in white. But the partridge colour is really pretty.

I need to get me some of those.

Can I assume a green feather or two in the tail is a sign that a partridge chantecler chick is a cockerel?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom