Chantecler Thread!

Tim, I agree with your sexing. Pullet in the first two photos, cockerel in the third, and that last photo is most likely a pullet. Although that last girl really does have poor feathering. As long as you don't plan to breed her, I'm sure she'll be a lovely bird in your flock. All of them have really nice combs and wattles so far.

Last edited:
Do you think that last one is really a Partridge Chantecler? I have no experience with them and don't know how far astray the coloring might typically run.

I believe you said you received these eggs from a breeder, so given that, most likely she is a Partridge Chantecler......just a very poor example of one. Part of the challenge in preserving and breeding any breed is carefully selecting the right pairings which continue to develop and maintain breed characteristics. The pencilling on the female feathers is very distinct and should be a key factor when breeding for breed standard.

The second photo of your pullet shows really good feathering and marking by the way and it will be interesting to see how she finally feathers out.

Last edited:
I only have three Chantecler, two buff and a partridge. All pullets. They are about 6 months old and are from Ideal Hatchery. I'm new to the breed (and really to chickens in general) but I really like these. My favorite is a buff named Bitzy (we received two very small chicks in the order from Ideal the other is named Itzy who turned out to be my largest Speckled Sussex rooster). Bitzy is small but very resourceful. She is usually the first on on my lap when I hand out scratch, probably because the other bigger pullets push her away from the goodies. I'm planning on getting some whites from Sandhill Preservation this summer.

11751_gretchen2.jpg

11751_gretchen1.jpg

11751_chant_1.jpg

11751_apples_yum.jpg

I bought some "cull" Partridge Chantecler chicks from John Blehm last year. They were culls because, at 1 day old, he put them under a magnifying glass and could tell they didn't have the right comb type. I thought that was pretty amazing.
ep.gif
Anywho...they both turned out to be pullets and here are their pics. I've since hatched out more chicks that can be traced to John's stock. I sure wish I could find a breeder with some nice stock to buy eggs from. John's birds still need a lot of work, especially in color, and he even says that on his website...so I knew what I was getting into when I got them. But I love the breed and I really want to work with them and improve my flock.

13587_2009_050.jpg

13587_2009_043.jpg

I think my girls have very nice penciling (especially the first hen), but the color and type needs work.

Last edited:
The range of colors is surprising to me.

I'm curious where your other hatches came from and how they look. Sources are difficult to come by, especially in the US -- I get the idea that there are a few options in Western Canada (where they were developed).

Back
Top Bottom