Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Our Buff Chantecler, 44 week old cockerel, won Best of Variety and Breed here at the 2011 Northwest National Poultry Show and APA Semi-Annual Meet. We even went up against some Partridges from Canada and placed above them - so far, still time to contest the placing if they want. Either way, I am complacent that we got first place FIRST!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Here are some pictures:
216360_1807523226451_1191050276_31858469_2716211_n.jpg

208109_1807522626436_1191050276_31858467_1204654_n.jpg

Quote:
Per the SOP etc a non-standard variety CANNOT win over a Standard variety. However, if an entry meets the SOP in breed type and in color, it has been known to win and the win stand. gives me hope with my Buff Chantecelers.

Judging the picture the bird seems to be very pinched in the back and high tailed. Buff is not even. I do say the legs were very yellow as I saw the bird in person.

Quote:
Oh yes, the color is definitely one of the first focuses on our improvement breedings, alongside of course working on the fluff. His tail is to high, which is also hopefully going to be solved with the breedings, the females we have definitely have lower tail carriage and much longer backs (I hate how this bird almost has a Dominique back in some cases). Our birds very much work in progress; working to breed a new cockerel to replace this one in a few generations. This is probably my own bias but his tail can seem pinched based just on how he holds it. I have noticed it time and time again, we have other birds (not all Chanteclers) who seem to look this same way. Honestly, from what I have seen of badly pinched, I would say his is just to tight(?) and prone to looking worse depending on when you see him.

Hoping to have some cleaner and more even buffs by next spring. Current breedings will essentially turn the flock into a set of cock breeding pullets and pullet breeding cock.

Did you show any birds at the show Redman34??

No I did not as all mine are in breeding pens. I am glad you do have some goals and plans for it will take some time to improve that variety. Glad you were out and showing.

Pinched in the back relates to the area from the shoulders to the tail. The back narrows very quickly and you could say it pinches in. This also lends to a narrow tail. As a breeder this a concern because the organs for egg laying and reproduction are in this region and you desire this breed to carry good width through the body. I hope this helps.

Fluff is not the only issue. Size is of concern to most. Since many started with Ideal Poultry we have a smaller Buff Chantecler than the SOP would require. How many are using the ALBC improvement suggestions? We returned the Buff Orpington (hatchery type) male to its original owner this weekend. Will ship out soon the last eggs from him. We have added an Exhibition Buff Orpington male to their pen. We planhing about a dozen or so from him to increase the size. Then cull heavy in their F1 generation for the fluff. If this proves to be unsuccessful, we will just have lots of fried chicken. Our pure Ideal Buff Chantecler chciks are well feathered. We finally have a pure male. He will be used on our project pullets next season to see if we have succeeded. As soon as they are mature enough we will start hatching eggs from them. We will also mate the project males to pure Chantecler hens. Guess I better start building some new coops.

We have about a dozen Buff Chantecler x Lavender Orpington eggs in the incubator. They are due to hatch this weekend. A friend told me he hatched a few from this cross and got all black chicks. The lav (aka self blue) is nice size, but not quite an Orpington yet in type. Hoping for a cushion comb and an all black bird. Anyone else working on a black Chantecler?

A friend posted this on the Chantecler Fanciers International forum

Published in the Poultry Tribune for April, 1926

The
Chantecler
By Brother M. Wilfrid
Originator of the Breed

Professor of Poultry Husbandry, Oka Agricultural Institute
La Trappe, Quebec

With head free of comb, proud
and intelligent.
Fearlessly she looks to future
fair.
March onward. Chantecler you
beautiful bird.
Your progeny must be spread
over the land.

Not so many years ago, a Canadian poultryman’s flock taken as a unit, could have been called the Canadian Mille Fleur breed, but he had no Canadian breed in stock.

Being a young poultry enthusiast, fond of my country, I decided that Canada would have its “Canadian Hen,” if it was possible to me. A hen, Canadian in its very build; strong, vigorous, able to walk proudly and healthily over 5 to 6 months of snow; white in colour; wearing the virginal dress of its country’s long winter period; and lastly, but not the least, a hen for Canadians who like equally well a good size egg and a good size chicken roast on the dinner table.

My country has now a spotless snow-white hen, which gives lots of eggs and large size dressed chickens. Patriotism decided the poultryman to work, whilst the poultryman’s knowledge of his country’s climate, as well as of his countryman’s taste and healthy appetite, gave birth in his mind to an ideal breed.

In view of quality and quantity of meat, I chose an extra fine dark Cornish cock, whose rusticily should root deep in its progeny, a vigour, which, with the bird’s medium size comb and wattles—as a matter of fact results from the first mating showed neither comb nor wattles—and feathers closely set to body—a necessary defence against cold—will stand the below zero weather better than any breed. Then in view of egg production, the pillar breed chosen was the world famous White Leghorn. Being under the impression that the female would transmit its colour, I chose always white females; I was meanwhile falling in with Fr. Mendel’s laws, proving that white will predominate over other colours in crossbreeding results. I also made another crossing the first year, between the Rhode Island Red and the White Wyandotte, expecting from this, good winter laying results—for the same reason I introduced White Plymouth Rock blood, later on. Results of the two crossings, namely Leghorn-Cornish and White Wyandotte-Rhode Island Red were mated in the second year. From 1908 until 1917 I worked with very interesting results, always making use of careful selection, in view of my ideal Canadian breed, which I called Chantecler in honour of “Chantecler” the famous rooster, represented in the French Chantecler play, by poet Rostand who every morning “turned out” the sun by his powerful, early crowing!

Limited space will not allow me to give you a more complete idea of the Chantecler’s origin, but if you become interested in this new breed, wishing to know all about it, you may ask for a copy of the Chantecler Breeders’ Manual published by the Canadian Chantecler Breeders’ Association. I organized that society in 1918 in view of withholding the breed’s acquired qualities and I am presently its Sec.-Treasurer. The C.C.B.A. from the every beginning was immersed with a wonderfully enthusiastic and supportive spirit. Today it counts not only amateurs but an interesting number of scientific breeders, who are able to put their Chantecler stock to the test of severe culling, giving the breed its chance toward due improvement.

Here is a word of the breed’s expansion. It was first exhibited in Montreal, in large numbers, then in Kingston Ont., Chicago, Toronto, Ottawa, New York, Boston in numberless towns and cities “the Dominion o’ver,” and last year, at the International Poultry Congress, Barcelona, Spain, where Europeans were almost awe stricken at the vigorous fighting demeanour of the new elegant looking breed. The Italian Poultry Association’s President, knowing nothing of the breed, called it the “FIGHTING LEGHORN” and wrote to me for information, result of which places the Chantecler breed in the Italian Standard.

Naturally France was the first foreign country to possess some Chantecler birds, then Belgium, South America, Sweden, South Africa and Spain. England is now ordering two pens from me. Note that the vigour of the breed makes it stand equally well the hot climates. Our South American correspondent is more than surprised at his success with Chanteclers.

Please now take a glance at my stock, bearing in mind that the Chantecler breed is YOUNG. I have a hen that brought home, last fall, primordial laurels registration. Indeed, an official record of 240 is very good. LA TRAPPE LB NO. 951 leaves me this season 33 registered chicks. Amongst 9000 others. I have had many pedigreed from good layers. All are enjoying the twenty-one acres of land whilst my new modern buildings await to hibernate the cream!

Article Photographs
Photos on left and right at top of page and framed in egg shaped black background borders with white line drawn feather rests:
- Left is photo of Reverend Brother M. Wilfrid Chantelain.
- Right is photo of White Chantecler Hen.

Photos on lower half of article:
Captions;
- Interior of Laying house for 3,000 hens.
- Brooder house, capacity of 3,500 Chicks. Incubator room and feeding rooms.

- E N D -

...I would like to point out that if a Chantecler hen is allowed access to a nest box at night, she will go in and become broody.

It has happened now with 4 hens, and the second I remove the broody and leave the others without her contagion, another girl immediately goes broody! I'm now without a single laying hen, and a passel of hissing harpies...

Worse than Silkies and Cochins combined!
rant.gif

Rant finis.

Back
Top Bottom