Chantecler Thread!

Pics
OK, here are some pictures of it with tail feathers. I let them outside today for the first time, so they were all excited! It has a double row of bumps for a comb--is that significant?

coming down the ladder--look at those huge feet!
65263_march_chicks_first_time_outside_13.jpg

On the far right with head down
65263_march_chicks_first_time_outside_27.jpg

Quote:
Do a couple of them have a smudgy bit of gray on their backs?

I don't know how to identify exactly which ones I'm looking at. It's the kind of the darkest looking one where there are 3 heads very close together all looking left. And the other one I'm curious about is almost in the bottom right corner, 3rd from the right.

Do they have a little bit of black highlights on their down? Is that what you mean by some are darker?

Are these some of the remakes or some of the Quebec originals? (If I have the terminolgy or my understanding is wrong, I apologize. I'm unclear on what's what with the recent origins of the Whites.)

They do have ties back to the original Qubec strain. And yes there is a bit of a dark smudge on their backs. It goes away very quickly but just wondering what causes it.

Quote:
Is my one little Chantecler a boy, as I suspect? Can you all help determine, pretty please? I won't keep a lone boy, so would rather know now! Thanks!

I've got two whites about three weeks old now. Only two out of 12 hatched, but they came a long way. They are from Quebec lines, in fact, are actually from Quebec. They came labeled as "easter eggs, made in Quebec." I had buff and partridge before (hatchery stock) but they weren't that great. Most had pea combs which was kind of odd and none continued laying through our winters even with supplemental lighting. The buff were beasties though. Good table birds. These whites are more like Cornish cross chicks, very stocky, fast growth, huge feet. No combs just triangular flat spots so I'm expecting good close cushion combs. My other Chanteclers were from a hatchery in Texas, not the best climate to breed for cold hardiness I suppose. Now I'm looking for better stock from flocks that are already tested in cold climates so I'm hoping to get the real deal with these Quebec Chanteclers. I just hope at least one is a hen:)

HI thought i would join here as I am now an owner of a dozen partridge Chantecler chicks courtesy of John Blehm...came with my Ameraucanas for company...I am actually a Canadian so maybe this was meant to be...anyways enjoying the pics of all the birds here and maybe if Im lucky some of these will grow into SQ birds for the fall...looking for lots of eggs over the winter

My babies are less fluffy and more feathery!
big_smile.png

Chicks009.jpg

Chanty chick with a turkey poult
Chicks013.jpg

My cat had to investigate all the ruckus while I was giving the chicks attention
lol.png

Chicks011.jpg

This may be a little off topic, but we are looking for a true dual purpose bird for our midwestern farm. For those of you that have dressed the chanties out and partook of their goodness, how do you feel they tasted compared to other home raised birds.
I am also looking at sites to order from. Pros and cons would be apppreciated.

Back
Top Bottom