Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Quote:
my first chante roo to crow happened about week 10

At seven months he should be crowing! My boys started around 4 months. They have rather deep sounding crows.

Does anyone know if the girls still grow quite a bit after sexual maturity? Our girls are six-months-old, laying, and only five pounds. The Cockerels are eight pounds, and act and look rather immature.

Last edited:
All chickens continue to grow and mature even after they begin laying and breeding.
smile.png

Those of you that have buff chanteclers, do you find they go broody easily? Can you rate them compared to either the partridge or say an Orpington in broodiness?
Thank you.

Quote:
Thanks! Would you happen to know how fast they mature? For example I have found our Rhode Island Reds hit average weight around a year, while the Brahmas take several years to fully mature and hit the appropriate weight.

Quote:
Thanks! Would you happen to know how fast they mature? For example I have found our Rhode Island Reds hit average weight around a year, while the Brahmas take several years to fully mature and hit the appropriate weight.

thats cool to know. I have 2 Brahmas, a yr and about 3 months. They lay HUGE eggs.

Quote:
I don't have any basis to compare to say partridge or white Chanteclers, or Orpingtons but ours have always seem interested in the idea. The one issue is that they all seem to want to brood at the same time, in the same nest even though there is plenty of room. I be that if given the chance they could successful, they just need their own space
big_smile.png
On another note, they seem to go about as broody as our d'Anvers.

I have a Partridge Chantecler chick that is only a couple of hours old, and signs that there will be more when I wake up tomorrow.

Is anyone near southern Maine interested in starting a flock? Or, mixing blood in an existing flock?

I don't have chickens just yet so I still have so very much to learn ! I'm in the process of building the coop ( almost done ) and I'm about to start looking for birds. Although I've decided at one point that I'm going to own every single breed there is it's about time to settle down, get serious and actually pick a breed or two.

Because I live in a very cold climate ( Upstate New York ) and also because keeping a rare breed sounds attractive ( global warming, save the whales hug a tree and all that ) I've been reading a bit about Chanteclers. One thing that seems a bit confusing to me though is that while I read that the breed is very rare, in fact last night I read that there may be as few as 2000 birds in existence, I also note that almost every hatchery has Chanteclers for sale. Doesn't seem to jive ? How can the breed be rare if all the hatcheries sell them ?

Also I'm quite sure that rare or not I'd like to buy a few. Since I'm so new to this, know so little and it's already Fall I'm thinking that I'd do well to buy pullets instead of day old chicks. If you agree with that I wonder if you have any suggestions where I might buy a few. A hatchery ? A breeder ?

Thank you
big_smile.png

Quote:
The Heritage Standard Bred Chantecler is very rare. The hatchery types are easier to find, but are not the quality of those bred to the Standard. Check out the members of http://www.chanteclerfanciersinternational.org/ for quality stock. The Buff is still a project bird. Trying to get its size and type equal to the White and Partridge. The Red is also a new development and has a long way to go to meet the Standard of a Chantecler. But you start where you are at. John Blem has some great birds and is a very geed breeder. John's site is at http://chickhatchery.com/ You might want to order a few Ameraucanas as well. they are pea comb and are great layers of "colored eggs". John has excellent stock in everything.

Back
Top Bottom