Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Well, John is not that far from me so I will drive down and pick up what I want, well worth the gas. Its looking up, I dont want cull or cross birds as is apt to happen from a large hatchery.

His website also has a link to the Chantecler Fanciers group, well worth looking at.

Love the girl in your avatar. Where are you located? What is the source of your stock?

I am in BC, Canada. I got my original birds from a few different sources here who had sources of SandHill, John, Performance and a couple of others from back east. Doin my own thing for 3 years now.

I love the girl in my avatar as well. Big, well pencilled, great head. :)

I process my Partridge Chanteclers at 22-24 weeks. Before that they have not really started to fill out. Mine are between 4.5 and 5 pounds when done.

Ah, you go with the "lay eggs or it is the freezer for you" method.
If the boys haven't laid by 22 weeks, time to go.
gig.gif

Nice looking dinner you have there
droolin.gif

Bruce

I free range the cockerels when they are younger, but as they get closer to processing age they are put in a bachelor pen and fed a bit differently than the others. Just a bit more grain and corn, I like corn fed birds I know some people don't.

I missed your comment on them being Partridge, which I still refer to as Albertans, I personaly think there should be a distinction made between them and the Quebec developed original White Chanteclers. Both of them have their own merits and I think should be regarded separately.

I do plan to free range mine next year, days anyhow and penned at night. We have too many fox and coons here to leave them out. I am also wanting to see how many if any of the hens will go broody and raise clutches, to me that is a very important trait of free ranging homestead chickens. I do plan to also have Icelandics and will be comparing both breeds as free ranging homestead chickens.

I missed your comment on them being Partridge, which I still refer to as Albertans, I personaly think there should be a distinction made between them and the Quebec developed original White Chanteclers. Both of them have their own merits and I think should be regarded separately.

I do plan to free range mine next year, days anyhow and penned at night. We have too many fox and coons here to leave them out. I am also wanting to see how many if any of the hens will go broody and raise clutches, to me that is a very important trait of free ranging homestead chickens. I do plan to also have Icelandics and will be comparing both breeds as free ranging homestead chickens.

Although they share a name, they are two separate breeds, not just varieties within a breed. I agree, might as well have different names as well.

From my limited experience and what I have heard from others, Partridge Chanteclers do go broody frequently, though they have mixed results as far as actually hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom