Charcoal or gas?

I like the convienence of a gas grill but if I had a preference it would be a wood burning fireplace. At our old home.. my husband (back in the day when he had energy)
lol.png
He build a fireplace outdoors... we would burn the wood down to charcols... and I am telling you that the difference is night and day... cook a steak on wood burning coals.. and you will love it.

Sadly that fireplace stayed with the house...
lol.png
Now the hubby will not even light the fireplace in the house... says it is too much work and will stain the mantle...
roll.png
should I also say.. I was the one bringing in the wood and cleaning the fireplace...
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Can't need a permit to start an open wood fire.

We have a large smoker and use oak, pecan, hicory, and mesquite wood. No permits needed. The last time we cooked out we cooked a deer (quartered) and two 60# hogs split. Wood.

Micah

I use a gas grill pretty exclusively all summer to cook, and in the winter when the power goes out. I use a piece of soaked wood (cedar, alder) on the grill for smoke flavor. When we camp, I cook over a wood fire. I don't care for charcoal, nothing personal it just always tasted like lighter fluid to me, even when other people do it. It may just be my imagination too. Don't know.

Quote:
I soak my hickory chips in water for a hour or so, then wrap in tin foil, poke holes in the tin foil with a fork. Start that early to get it smoking, hickory flavor and smoke, no mess or hassle.

I modified my gas grill. I welded up a rack over the burner and filled it with pumice stones----------it heats up fast and drippings fall on the stones, smoking like charcoal. So I can't really answer "Charcoal or gas?" since mine is a (field engineered) hybrid.

P.S. I had another term in mind for "field engineered" but couldn't post it here on this forum.

I like the gas better actually really the only way I will bbq or eat something bbq is from gas. I won't eat at burger king for this very reason amongst others but that being number one. I mize well chomp on a piece of charcoal squirt some lighter fluid on it and yummy.
sickbyc.gif

At the moment we cook with gas. One of my future projects is to build a outside fire place. I am in the process of acquiring the materials now.

Back
Top Bottom