Charities

In response to wanting to provide for an organization that meets whatever your political views are, donate to the small organizations that work directly with people or animals, etc. We give as much as we can to our local neighbors to neighbors because they provide food and coats to people in my community. They don't ask for anything other than if you take, you need to give; they usually want people to help one day a month to get the food ready to distribute for instance. Give locally.

I rate a charity based on who they help and if there are measurable changes made to those helped. I don't care about the political views of the organization or it's members. I don't care much for overhead costs percentages so long as noticeable good is being done. I want those in need of life's basics of clean water and nourishing food to have it and I don't give a flying flip how they get it (barring of course denying the same things to other people and I'm sure there are more caveats that I can't think of right now but I feel the urge to add a disclaimer due to the nit pickiness of the rest of the thread)
th.gif

Really, ChickenEd?

Just because someone is pro-choice or supports a group like Planned Parenthood doesn't mean they are anti-child. I cannot believe that you are that naive, so I can only assume you are looking for some kind of over reaction. You aren't going to find it here.
I said it does not make sense... I did not say they were anything else and I also said I believe some still contribute to such an organization. Try reading the whole post in its context. And apparently I did get a reaction,,,

Mom, I had so much trouble understanding what Ed could have possibly meant that I thought he made a typing error. I keep a file of Edisms and that one has to go to the top.

I do think people should be aware of where there charitable donations are going.

There are so many places to do so much good in the world; knowing the reputation of charities helps you get money to the people who are really helping.

I have to agree that food, clean water, and shelter are basic needs; and charities that provide those services are critical. This is why my time goes to the local food pantry. Other things are also important; education, medical care, safety, human rights; environmental preservation, etc. There is a way and a place to help for everyone. If one organization doesn't fit your criteria, find one that does.

For me, I support those organizations that I feel do real good. For the OP, she doesn't feel that any organization can do real good if it supports abortion rights. That is her right, but it does take a number of very good organizations off her list. But we all have our issues that have a point of no return. My only issue with the OP is that I think she needs to look at more than one website to determine which organizations are worthy in her eyes.

The BSA is a fraction of what it once was, I was involved in it with my kids many years ago nwhen they were well funded but the scouts in my area are broke, struggling and have been systematically selling thier land to stay afloat, which is sad. They have paid a price for thier stand on contreversial issues and I do admire them for that and doing what they believe to be best.

Mom, I had so much trouble understanding what Ed could have possibly meant that I thought he made a typing error. I keep a file of Edisms and that one has to go to the top.
A recent study reports that the tone in email is misinterpreted 50 percent of the time. Furthermore, 90 percent of people think they've correctly intepreted the tone of emails they receive, making for a dangerous gap in communication. The lack of tonal and non-verbal cues have made email and IM a haven for misinterpreted statements and flame wars. The study attributes much of the misunderstanding to egocentrism, since readers have a difficult time "detaching themselves from their own perspective."

This may clear things up for Mom and anyone else really.

A recent study reports that the tone in email is misinterpreted 50 percent of the time. Furthermore, 90 percent of people think they've correctly intepreted the tone of emails they receive, making for a dangerous gap in communication. The lack of tonal and non-verbal cues have made email and IM a haven for misinterpreted statements and flame wars. The study attributes much of the misunderstanding to egocentrism, since readers have a difficult time "detaching themselves from their own perspective."

This may clear things up for Mom and anyone else really.
That one goes into the Edism file under "HUH?"

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to one of the original questions, when I fill out my United Way donation at work, there is a place to *designate* where you do or do not want your monies to go. For instance, you can designate none of your donation should go to PP, or that ALL of your donation should go to Charity X. but the default is their general fund. Read the fine print. Just FYI.

There is a point in which a person can not be held responsible for what someone else does with what is given to them.

I would illustrate this as a bit like paying taxes. I am legally obligated to pay taxes, and I am told by the bible to pay my taxes. But I don't agree with how the government spends some of tax dollars. I can say that I am anti war for one thing.Still I can not be held responsible for how the government decides to use my tax dollars. So I for one do not spend a lot of time thinking about my tax dollars, and what they may have been spent on.

A number of large charities are run much like the government. You don't have any control over how your gift is going to be used. I doubt that God will hold against you if it's spent on something you don't agree with. It doesn't mean though that the charity isn't still worthy of support.

I also believe that anytime you give to a charity, that you are giving a gift. Once a gift is given, you no longer have a say in how a gift is used. So continue to give with an open heart, and enjoy the thought that you have done the best you can.

As others have noted Planned Parenthood does so much more than just abortions. If 90 percent or more of the donations are used for the overall good of the community, and you believe in another persons right of choice, then I just don't understand the problem. Your support for PP, will never require you to have an abortion. It may be that any single one of your dollars will ever be spent on an abortion.

I personally could never consider having an abortion. But then I also believe in very strict morals, so I have never found myself in the same place as other women have. I will say though, that I did face the issue with one of my daughters. We learned before she was born, that she was not going to live very long, and would be facing major health problems. I made the choice to give birth to my daughter, but too this day I could never fault another woman for let a child like my daughter go before she was born. That is the right of personal choice. I am not on this earth to police anyone else, but myself.

I think you could drive yourself crazy trying to figure out a totally safe charity. Perhaps by simply giving to your church, you can have the security, that your charitable donations will be used according to your beliefs. I have done this myself, and I have faith that most, if not all my gift has been used to help others. It's nice to know that my church doesn't have any paid clergy, and low overhead costs.

Another option would be to give to the American Red Cross. As far as I can tell they are using the donations for disaster relief, and helping people in crisis. There is simply a time to let go of what you want, and let the gift of a charity donation, simply be a gift given with an open heart.

The people that then use the gift given, are the people that will need to answer to your higher power, and not yourself.

Back
Top Bottom