Charity....As you open your pockets for yet another natural disaster

As a rescue agent I can tell you that the local level of horse rescues never have what they need... at least not here in Oregon.. There is never a surplus of anything... Monies go long way... If I had dollar left.. somethng got a little more... Check them out to make sure they are legit but my group here... HARD WORKERS... Breeding and rescue are opposites... I would find myself in the far reaches of the planet in the snow and cold and rain.. feeding something over the fence till the authorities jumped through hoops to get access to the property and sieze the animals... I did this for no money...there just isn't any left... Just an FYI

And while most of what the OP posted is outdated, those people still make too much money for what they do.

I am a firm believer in help your locals out. I got blasted for a letter to the editor I wrote to my local paper after the earthquake in Haiti. I was tired of seeing everyone in my town and even my church raising money to send to them, but not doing anything for the local community. I'm sorry, but we have enough people in this country that we don't take care of and it seems that a lot of people only care about helping people overseas.

Your local SPCA is a wonderful place to donate. And, like one poster said, donate food and bedding items, NOT money. The money you donate goes to pay their bills, but they almost always need food and cat litter for the animals.

I prefer to help out local. The foodbanks can always use donations, especially during the winter and honestly, if funds are tight, consider donating your time. If everyone spent 1 hour a month cleaning garbage from the parks and recreational areas, maybe less would be closed to the public. Oops, to easy to get preachy on this topic.
big_smile.png

I disagree with some of the Salvation Army's principles, so I choose not to donate to them. That isn't to say they don't do good work, but there's also no lack of other charities that do the same good work.

I refuse to donate to United Way.

Simply because former employers of mine used to notify all employess annually of what they felt their "fair share" should be. It's one thing for a company to request that their employees donate to a specific charity.

It's another thing entirely to try to guilt them for 3 days beforehand with various presentations before telling them what they should give.

When donating money to a cause I prefer to go through my church.

OOOh don't even get me started on the united way. That workplace giving scheme is a strong armed tactic and I refuse to participate in it. The united way also supports planned parenthood, for those of you with opinions on that subject.

GO LOCAL I say. I donate to a local church food bank that also gives away clothes. I know the owner and the donations actually go directly to the needy.

Back
Top Bottom