Harry horse & Charlie adventures! Horse chat & much more! Everyone welcome!

I'm just about needing to get my waders out already as it has hammered down since 3.30pm but pleased to report Lauren and I rode out earlier
CC71C9B0-9629-4D9A-AA99-E79518182ED9.gif
and got back before the rain arrived. Horses were wild though and we had to try to keep it to a walk for most of the 4 miles as anything more than that and it was just an excuse to gallop, buck, snort, shy and generally be stupid. We stopped at a playing field on the way back to let them have a bite of grass and MeMe took the opportunity to dash round in circles bucking and rearing whilst Rebel saw his chance to have a roll because Lauren wasn't paying enough attention. We had both dismounted to let them eat so there was no risk to us but I was worried about Rebels saddle getting trashed. Thankfully she got him up before he went right over. Must try to get them out again tomorrow, but I will be solo, so it will be one at a time.
I'm so impressed that you used to show jump! Did you do any jumping with Harry? Was he a flat or hurdles racer?
I'm quite keen on the idea of the simulator. Lauren was saying today that it really helped her leg position because she was able to see and feel when it was right. Will see what my sister says about it on Friday when we go for our jumping lesson. I probably won't do it if she isn't interested.
Must head back out into the wild weather to do evening stables and head up to Ian's for tea and then sit down to watch "I'm a celebrity". Hope you are having a relaxing evening and keeping warm and dry. X

I'm just about needing to get my waders out already as it has hammered down since 3.30pm but pleased to report Lauren and I rode out earlier View attachment 1601187 and got back before the rain arrived. Horses were wild though and we had to try to keep it to a walk for most of the 4 miles as anything more than that and it was just an excuse to gallop, buck, snort, shy and generally be stupid. We stopped at a playing field on the way back to let them have a bite of grass and MeMe took the opportunity to dash round in circles bucking and rearing whilst Rebel saw his chance to have a roll because Lauren wasn't paying enough attention. We had both dismounted to let them eat so there was no risk to us but I was worried about Rebels saddle getting trashed. Thankfully she got him up before he went right over. Must try to get them out again tomorrow, but I will be solo, so it will be one at a time.
I'm so impressed that you used to show jump! Did you do any jumping with Harry? Was he a flat or hurdles racer?
I'm quite keen on the idea of the simulator. Lauren was saying today that it really helped her leg position because she was able to see and feel when it was right. Will see what my sister says about it on Friday when we go for our jumping lesson. I probably won't do it if she isn't interested.
Must head back out into the wild weather to do evening stables and head up to Ian's for tea and then sit down to watch "I'm a celebrity". Hope you are having a relaxing evening and keeping warm and dry. X

Crikey Barbara as I read that I thought he got down with Lauren on board! Please to see you wrote she was already off! Sounds most interesting does your ride today but well done on flying another flag :bun

Yes I did showjumping but never on Harry. They were all riding school horses barring a couple of the liveries that used to let us ride theirs which were a bit more lively. There was one old boy called Gambler and boy was he wick! Literally point, aim and hope you stayed on board. I can remember coming off him once going round a corner both he and I hit the deck as he mororbiked it round. As you can probably tell there were never many brakes with him! But a fab little jumper and lots of fun.
Harry was a flat horse but did have a bit of training over the hurdles but he was never going to be any good so they didn’t enter him in any jump races. To be quite honest he was never any good at flat either! He did quite a few flat races but I’m guessing his owner’s were trying to recoup some of their 49,000 Guineas they paid for him! But alas to no avail!

I do hope your sister is interested in the simulator as it sounds like it could be very helpful.

Good luck out in that weather! Anything nice for T? Is Ian cooking :fl I’m having to record “I’m a celeb” because I keep nodding off in the chair :old I hope Harry wins! Some of his tales have had me in hysterics! :lol:

Yes all nice and dry here, had a hot soak, PJ’s on and the fire is roaring! :cool:

Hi Kim

That is so funny but so true! I'm sure Charlie and keeper will love it! Not sure they have the colour right though. Surely Keepers side should be black?

Afraid I have no more flags to fly and really feel like I am letting my beasties down, but it has been too windy the last couple of days to risk taking already loopy horses out, especially when I exit onto a busy main road. I should be flying a flag tomorrow though since it is our jumping lesson. Keep your fingers crossed my old Freelander gets us there and back safely and Zak is on best behaviour.
No, Ian didn't have tea ready the other night but I had been given a corned beef pie baked by my lovely neighbour, so we had that with Heinz beans, which was just what the doctor ordered..... perfect comfort food for a wet, windy night.
You are working too hard if you are falling asleep before I'm a Celeb. I haven't managed to make it to Ian's to see every night but I agree that Harry is great. It is actually a really good mix of people and so refreshing that they are all getting on so well regardless of age, background and culture. There has normally been a bit of back biting by this stage and I can't say I blame them. I would be shockingly bad tempered if I hadn't had chocolate or sugar for that length of time. I can't remember a year when everyone got on quite so well. Noel is amazing for his age! I love that the younger ones are so interested in the older members and some really unexpected bonding happens.
Anyway, I must head off to clean my riding boots for tomorrow and put stuff ready to change into for my lesson after I get all the mucking out done in the morning. It's no good me showing up in my usual scruffy attire when we are going to such a posh equestrian centre. Embarrassed to say that I will have to borrow one of their hats as none of mine are up to the current safety standards. :oops: Thankfully we don't have to wear body protectors. Wish me luck! :fl

That is so funny but so true! I'm sure Charlie and keeper will love it! Not sure they have the colour right though. Surely Keepers side should be black?

I was thinking that too Barbara! The white side for Keeper would be filthy in no time! :sick

Good luck for tomorrow :fl I’m sure you will have a fab time! Sounds rather posh there if you need clean boots & clothes. Sounds rather like the place over the road from the farm to Harry. It’s well posh over there and makes us lot look like tramps :lol: Their liveries are not allowed to use the indoor school as part of their livery and they are not allowed to take anyone with them. So if I were there I wouldn’t be able to even take Charlie with me. It would be ok for my OCD as it’s absolutely immaculate & tidy there.
What size hat are you? I might have one I could send you up but would need to check the standard. I never got on with it and only used it a handful of times before I got another.

Corned beef pie & beans sounds lovely! Lucky escape there for Ian! No TV at yours if you need to go to his to watch I’m a celeb? Def a good line up this year on the show. I’m afraid yes I’ve usually nodded off by then or just gone to bed before I do :caf I know I said I was packing it in but I’ve been back out delivering again. They were desperate for help as they were all swamped with parcel’s and it’s not even full peak time yet. Just a dash here there and everywhere what with horses & birds to do. We have also been full on decorating, new flooring in Charlie’s room, hall way, small bedroom/office, lounge and dining area. Had to move all the furniture out of each room so they could fit it and then back again! Plus Tally the terrorist is up in the night or I can’t sleep. The other morning I let her out at 2.30am went back to bed but laid there till 5 wide awake so thought I might as well just get up. But being awake at that time makes me nod off early. Can’t win either way! Not even a chance of an afternoon nap because that’s when I need to catch up on office work that I’ve not finished from first thing in the morning. Then it’s time to pick Charlie up from the bus and get him fed.
Repeat then the following day!

Hi Kim

Home safe and sound and Zak was a star! I sat last night until about 2am watching You Tube videos on getting the right canter lead (not sure I have ever done that but maybe when I was 7 or 8 yrs old and I certainly don't remember). Anyway, my homework paid off and he gave me both leads when asked. He coped very well with the strange environment and the coloured fences and whilst we hit a few, we managed to jump a whole course and I think them being so small was part of the problem although I certainly wasn't ready to jump anything bigger. We did have a slight mishap when she put a jump up and we turned into it too fast and too late and didn't quite get lined up. At the last minute as we were heading straight for the wing I tried to steer him out of it but right at that moment he was correcting himself and pulling to go with it. I stopped fighting him too late and whilst he made the jump my leg hit the wing and sent everything flying.... it was a double winged jump and both got knocked over. We came back round and did it again from trot without any hesitation once the instructor had rebuilt it, so that was good. It was just that his canter is a bit too forward going and I failed to get him turned into it and focussed in timeso totally my mistake. I was really surprised and impressed that he didn't dive out the side even when I gave him the option to do so. When I told Ian about our crash the only thing he was worried about was that I hadn't blotted Zak's "clean slate" as regards not dropping a rider. No concern for me, he just loves to tell people that no one has ever come off Zak. Think I will have a bruise on my left knee but at least it was that one and not my right one which I am having problems with.
We are booked in for next week and Lauren is coming with us.
Really kind of you to offer a hat. I have numerous but none meet the current safety standards which doesn't bother me in the slightest but these places are particular about health and safety. If yours does meet current kite mark requirements and it would fit, I would be happy to buy it from you. I am a 7.

I'm sorry to hear that you are working all hours again. No wonder you are falling asleep before 9pm. I'm surprised that you are not sleeping right through though, you must be zonked! Hope your day hasn't been too hectic. I know I will sleep tonight because the late night last night, early start and stress of getting there and back today should take it's toll and a glass of rum and coke might just help things along.:oops:

Hope you have a good weekend and perhaps get to fly a flag at some point soon. I really need to get at least one of mine out tomorrow.

Love and hugs

Barbara

@rebrascora

I’ve been eagerly awaiting a post from you today! :woot Barbara! Sounds like you had a fab time and well done to both you & Zak! It all sounds like it went well and a knock on the wings with a leg is nothing to worry about. It could have been a whole lot worse so for just that to happen is nothing. Hope the leg doesn’t hits too much tonight or tomorrow. Good luck for next week, who will Lauren be riding? Archie?

I will def check that hat tomorrow, didn’t get chance today as I’m back doing my Friday mucking out job. Then in my infinite wisdom said I would fetch in for them too. Had 15 to get in and a couple of them played me up something chronic :mad: How I hung on to the cob when he set his neck I dont know but I was sweating by the time I’d got right up from the bottom field with them! I really don’t want any money for the hat should it fit. I would rather it get used than just sat there.

No chance of sleeping through! Tally wants to go out, then Keeper will hear and want to go out and depending how old Mac is feeling he will want to go out too. Plus invariably Scott will be snoring, coughing, moving about or actually getting up! He never sleeps well either so it can be as busy in the middle of the night as during the day.

Hope the run & coke help tonight & im going to lush on for flag flying tomorrow! :fl

@rebrascora Hope your leg is feeling ok today? Nice bruise maybe?

I got that hat today but can’t find anything in it tag or sticker wise for conformity or size :hmm Can’t think why nothing would be in there unless I’ve removed it in the past. What do you think? I’m guessing they would want to check it?
FF3ED44C-B4C7-407C-821F-EF547D821C24.jpeg

68C09BE1-EAFF-40E8-A89C-FEB6E2BE4C0C.jpeg

Hi kim.

So kind of you to dig out that hat and take a photo but without knowing size and if it conforms to the PAS 015 standard, I would be no further forward. I have done a quick online search but can't find an image of a DECO hat that matches yours in order to get more info on it. Does it fit you and if so what size is the current hat you wear? It is not worth the cost and effort of postage if it doesn't fit and I couldn't accept it anyway without making some contribution either to yourself or a charity of your choice.
Most of the hats I have meet the BS 1384 standard but that is not good enough for the riding school even though it still seems to be the current basic safety standard from the quick research I have done. They require the PAS standard.
Surprisingly I have no bruise or soreness in my knee but my back really stiffened up last night. Not sure if that was as a result of the jumping/crashing, the tension of getting there and back with Zak.... I was really stressed as I had to go through Durham.... or riding MeMe yesterday
CC71C9B0-9629-4D9A-AA99-E79518182ED9.gif
or a combination of all. The rum and coke definitely hit the spot followed by a couple of sherries :oops: when I ran out of coke. You know you have a problem when you resort to drinking sherry! Really hope I am not so stressed next week. I know it is good to push myself beyond my comfort zone but it does take it out of me.
Anyway, I must crack on and get some work done now and then try to get out on a horse this afternoon.
I would like to wish you a relaxing day but I know that won't happen. Can't believe you had 15 horses to bring in! It sounds to me like people are putting on you. I hope they paid you! Zak has started setting his neck and pulling like that cob and he has got away from both Ian and I on several occasions. Ian loops the lead rope around his nose now if he thinks it might happen and I have a fine rope halter that I use for him that works well. Once they realise they can get away from you, it is easy to become a habit and not safe. Especially when you are leading another horse with them.
Hope you manage to get up on Harry today and have a pleasant ride. X

@rebrascora

Mmmm.... I’m not even sure what size my hat is :oops: Will have to check that one too. I tried a bunch on and when I got a comfy one thought that will do! Health & safety hey with their differing standards required!

Good on the leg but not so good on the back stiffness :hmm I’m sure it must be your worry about everything building up! Was MeMe naughty? Middle of Durham would bother me too! Nothing wrong with a drop of sherry ;) My nana always used to have a small glass on an afternoon when she was washing up. She always let us have sip when we were kids so I guess that’s where my taste for it came from! I don’t mind a drop at all!

Catching up today on house chores and laundry. As Charlie reckons he’s not got any under crackers left! :lol: I’m more than sure he’s got some clean in there somewhere but I’m certainly not going in to the hovel to look for them!

Yes I get paid for fetching in and it’s not all the time so not too bad. Just wish it was paid by the horse rather than the hour! As I walk everywhere at 100 miles an hour it doesn’t even take an hour! Yes that cob is a beast and does have a controller head collar but it seems as useful as chocolate fire guard! I much prefer my dually or the rope over the nose so you feel like you are hanging on at least.

Have a nice ride this aft and :fl I get on H!

Back
Top Bottom