Charlotte County Florida ordinances

Pics
Hi everyone! Everyone seems to have disappeared after the meeting last month. What are we going to do to get our chickens legalized? Petition? Anything? I would love to hear from someone..anyone!

Come on guys! We can do this if we work together!!

highfive.gif
highfive.gif

thanks for all the work you all have been doing. I live off of Midway and have three chickens (lost two in the last two weeks to a predator). I would like to help out any way that I can and sign your petition. I had a friend get a visit a couple months ago, along with her neighbor and they had to get rid of their chickens (off of Olean). My email address is [email protected] or you can call my cell 941-234-6382. Thank you all for all your hard work.

Margy1,

I continue to write the commissioners. My work schedule changed this quarter so I am unable to attend the meetings. I hope to rally support for this and go the signature route. Yes, we'd need help/support for that undertaking. I still want to see what happens in November when they vote for the Phase 1 zoning changes (November 25). Hope you're chickens are well and enjoy the new coop. Recall you were building fencing for them.

ADCHICKENS,

Sorry to hear about your compliant. Mine was anonymous, too. How convenient for the complainers to hide behind their "anonymity".

Curious, if you there was complaint, how can there not be a violation? Do you have to get rid of your chickens?

Last I talked to the zoning rep, Jie, Animal Control said they would not define "pets" as Zoning Board Members wanted, but as mentioned (ADCHICKENS) chickens are not considered pets; however, if they are defining pets, one would think that is the loophole we are looking for. All depends on what is passed in November as the Phase 1 updates to Charlotte County Zoning.

I just checked out the Chicken Revolution (Chicken In The Yard) C.I.T.Y web site per the GRIT article. I e-mailed them for help/approach to get something going in Charlotte County. Will see what happens.

I have gotten a code enforcement guy who dropped off a violation with a code (3-9-32d) giving us 10 days to get rid of our chickens. I looked up the code and it has absolutely nothing to do with chickens at all. Also in the comments section it reads "chickens are not allowed in a residential area" Which according to the zoning laws it shows that we are in fact allowed to have 3 chickens and no roos. Provided that we follow the rules, and we have followed all the rules in the zoning laws. With the exception that we have more than 3 chickens and we do have roosters. So I'm not sure what to do? I can't loose my chickens, me and my girlfriend love them to death. They are really great pets, and are so full of personality.

Just an update on my situation with our chickens. The county came by again and gave me a warning for our chickens. When I told him that I had spoke with the county attorney he seemed somewhat surprised and he wrote it down. I also asked him why Charlotte County Animal Control says chickens are considered domestic animals and he said he was just the messenger for the county.

ADSHICKENS - sorry to hear of your continuing battle -

So the County Lawyer is saying he has not heard, or unaware of issues with raising chickens(3 hens) in residential areas, that is good news. Then why is the county zoning representatives taking action on complaints? Or maybe because there was a complaint then chickens no longer is allowed. I feel that people complain unnecessarily out of ignorance. And then our chickens pay. Let us know what happens.

And no I never heard back from the County Commissioners (Board) or the Zoning Board regarding the updates to the Charlotte County Zoning Phase 1. All the e-mails and calls, and then nothing. I have a call into Jei for an update. Final vote is with the County Commissioners on November 25.

The only thing I can figure is the county is trying to scare people with chickens by going out and telling them that they are in violation but then not issuing a citation. Zoning says 1 thing. Animal Control says something else and the county commissioners won't talk about it. Nothing in the Phase 1 zoning has anything to do with chickens but there is a part in there that has to do with the use of buildings.

Phase 1 adds a section allowing chickens in Residential Estates zoning (acreage), but removed the section that talked about 3 hens in an urban setting. You're right, county is stirring up the pot and not responsible for the consequences.

Back
Top Bottom