Charlotte County Florida ordinances

My biggest argument with the county is that Animal Control says chickens are considered domestic animals and zoning says they aren't allowed but can't show me the ordinance that says they aren't allowed. If I have to get rid of our chickens than I feel everyone with dogs and cats need to get rid of their pets.

Here in NJ the ordinance about chickens was just ammended two years ago. Property's under 9,500 square feet are allowed 3 hens. Roosters are not allowed. I do not understand many of the towns ordinances pertaining to "livestock" My 140 pound bull mastiff is a bigger nusance to my neighbors than chickens, goats or even a pig. My town was concerned about attracting predators, fox, coyote and bear. To be honest 11 years ago I would see alot of critters hanging around. My dog is about to turn 10 and my property no longer has these critters. She has chased bear, and fox. I don't even have squirrels visit my yard. Every night I do hear the neighborhood raccoon knocking over every garbage pail on the street, except mine. I would say if left to assume, assume in your own favor. I would not draw attention to myself , so rule out roosters. if it comes up about you violating a town ordinance, I would do your research and visit a town meeting and request the ordinance be changed. It can be done, just takes time. And research to enlighten officials about what chickens really are.

The problem here is there is an ordinance that says chickens are allowed in agriculture areas but there isn't anything that says they aren't allowed in residential areas, also our animal control says that chickens are considered domestic animals just like dogs and cats. Anytime it's been brought up with our country commissioners they don't want to talk about it.

So sorry to hear, and sorry I missed your post. I know the love and loss of being the victim of a violation. Last year August an anonymous complaint was waged against me and I have to remove my chickens. It's frustrating and not fair. Have you called your county commissioner, and Animal Control? I heard if the inspector comes back on inspection day and "does not see" any chickens - they are not there and you have fulfilled the violation requirement. I know a lot of people with invisible chickens. ;) I am just saying.... Let us know what happens? Did you know your accuser or were they anonymous, too?

We have had 2 anonymous complaints so far. Both times that we received them we were given a warning and said we had 10 days to get rid of them. After the 1st complaint I went to the zoning office and talked to the county attorney and about all he could say was that chickens are allowed in AG but it doesn't say anything about them not being allowed in RES and that I have to wait until we receive a violation to plead my case to the zoning department. The 2nd time the zoning guy came by I told him what happened the 1st time and he wrote it down and said he would tell the zoning department, that was 2 weeks ago. All the county wants to do is scare people.

Well, I got a red tag on the door to do a building inspection, the tag doesn't give a reason in the check box area. But written in the comments is " CHICKENS ARE NOT ALLOWED". Yes we moved the chickens inside in their coop, I don't think legally code can come in to do an inspection unless I'm doing construction on the home. Can someone please help?

The county is just trying to use scare tactics. If you're chickens are inside how would they even know you have them without a search warrant or entering your private property uninvited. Search for Charlotte County Code Inforcement and on their website you can search your address to see what they have down against your property.

Back
Top Bottom