Charlotte County Florida ordinances

Fighting Words!

Charlotte County zoning board members have really done it this time - I attended a meeting on September 9th to SUPPORT chickens in Charlotte County (Margy1 was with me). I looked back at notes and found that I was quoted as saying:

Ms. Michelle Roth spoke, thanking everybody for their hard work. She provided her viewpoint on regarding the keeping of chickens and exchanged comments with the Chair regarding how keeping chickens doesn’t work in the RSF (residential single-family) environment as opposed to RE (residential estates).

That is SO NOT TRUE. I SUPPORT chickens in RSF. I shared my support for chickens in RSF at that time, even though the county was NOT going to pursue that line of change at the time. Yet they misquoted me and notes I was not a supporter of chickens in RSF.

These county officials are a real disappointment, wanting things their way, and bending the truth to get it - and go as far as misquoting an attendee.

Writing the county now.

Can anybody show me where chickens aren't allowed in a residential area. The only thing it says is they are allowed in an agricultural area but nothing about residential. Charlotte County Animal Control says chickens are considered domestic animals. Also has anyone received an actual citation for having chickens and not just a warning. I have received 2 warnings so far but no citations.

Fighting Words!

Charlotte County zoning board members have really done it this time - I attended a meeting on September 9th to SUPPORT chickens in Charlotte County (Margy1 was with me). I looked back at notes and found that I was quoted as saying:

Ms. Michelle Roth spoke, thanking everybody for their hard work. She provided her viewpoint on regarding the keeping of chickens and exchanged comments with the Chair regarding how keeping chickens doesn’t work in the RSF (residential single-family) environment as opposed to RE (residential estates).

That is SO NOT TRUE. I SUPPORT chickens in RSF. I shared my support for chickens in RSF at that time, even though the county was NOT going to pursue that line of change at the time. Yet they misquoted me and notes I was not a supporter of chickens in RSF.

These county officials are a real disappointment, wanting things their way, and bending the truth to get it - and go as far as misquoting an attendee.

Writing the county now.
Michelle that is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!! You NEVER said that!!!! Oh my goodness!!!! That upsets me so much!! THEY were the ones talking about not wanting to put animals in residential places and that was HORSES. RIDICULOUS!!!

to ADSCHICKENS

I got a Charlotte County citation on August 9, 2013, sent to the county via an anonymous complaint. I had to rid my property of chickens by September 27, 2013, which I complied, and gave my chickens to other chicken owners in the county. Those residents DID NOT have to rid their property of chickens because no one COMPLAINED about their chickens. The inspector came to my property and confirmed the complaint (saw chickens free ranging) and then again to make sure that I had removed them from my property. If not removed, I would incur fees of hundreds of dollars per day until I complied.

There is NOTHING in the zoning laws that say anything about chickens, except that you CAN have chickens in RE (residential estates) zoning. I don't know how the county gets away with removing chickens from properties, since nothing is specifically said about having or not having chickens (just in RE zones). I believe it is bases on complaints.

So if no complaints you CAN can have/keep chickens. As soon as someone complains and their is a complaint filed against you, then you have to comply to the complaint.

Can someone please show me the county ordinance that says chickens aren't allowed in a residential area. I need the ordinance number please.

I have never seen anything written in the planning and zoning laws that says chickens are not allowed. All I know is that citizens can complain about your chickens and the county acts on complaints. I'd call the county to confirm:

Charlotte County Planning and Zoning: 941.743.1964
Jei Shoa is a good Planning and Zoning contact: 941.743.1272
https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/services/planningzoning/Pages/default.aspx

or

Charlotte County Code Compliance : 941.743.120
https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/services/buildingconstruction/Pages/Code-Compliance.aspx

Thank you. I haven't been able to find anything either. I have called and just get the run around. I keep seeing on here where people are saying they have been cited by the county but they don't have an ordinance to back it up. The only thing I have been able to find out about chickens in the county is that Animal Control says chickens are considered domestic animals.

Yep - and that is all you can find, nothing - problem is, the zoning is vague (except now for RE (residential estates)) about chickens. I know I was cited and have the paperwork to prove it and the signatures etc., no fun. I could not seem to fight it without out hiring a lawyer and making my property an exception, at that time. Mine was "official" enough to get inspectors out and county folks coming to my property. All they would say was "you can't" have chickens on RE but nothing they could show me where it specifically said I could not.

Now at that time (9/2013) the zoning did have a section regarding keeping of chickens in RSF (residential single family), MSF, CHCR, and MHC districts, and AE (agriculture), but not where I lived in RE. Not sure if that is /was ever official or not. That now is changed, and that info has since been removed from the zoning by-laws - was being updated as late as 2/2014:

https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/services/planningzoning/ULDC Documents/Chapter-2_ULDC_013114.pdf

Search on chicken and you will find this:

4.5. Keeping of chickens in the RSF, MSF, CHCR, and MHC districts, provided the
23 following conditions are met:
24 a. No more than three chickens may be kept. Roosters are prohibited.
25 b. The killing and dressing of chickens is prohibited.
26 c. Chickens shall be provided with a covered nesting box within an enclosed
27 yard. Enclosures shall only be permitted in side and rear yards and shall be
28 sufficiently screened from the street and neighboring properties.
29 d. All enclosures shall be kept sanitary and free from accumulations of animal
30 excrement and objectionable odor, and constructed and maintained so as to
31 prevent rodents or other pests from being harbored underneath, within, or
32 within the walls of the enclosure and to protect from predators.
33 e. All animal feed shall be stored in a secured, rodent-proof container and
34 housed within an enclosed structure.

I posted this b4, in an earlier conversation.

This has since been crossed from the zoning by-laws, not sure why. When I asked that question at the 9/2014 zoning meeting they said it is a bigger issue and they need more info and feedback from residence to discuss it. They were not wanting to deal with those districts (RSF, MSF, CHCR, and MHC9) and chickens at the time they updated Phase 1 of the zoning by-laws. More worried about passing it thru the Planning and Zoning Boards and the County Commissioners office for 11/25/2014. Even spoke to reporters at the meeting and they said same thing, take small bites. Chickens are a big issue - but yet - had it in the by-laws at one time (or maybe was a draft) that RSF, MSF, CHCR, and MHC9 could have chickens. They do now allow chickens on RE districts (passed on 11/25/2014). That is official.

This is what is so confusing - there is nothing that says you "can't" yet the by-laws have pockets of districts that can, so one can only assume that if your district is not "allowed" then you can't have chickens. That is pretty vague to me.

Again - you can have chickens until you are cited, then you can't - that is not a good ordinance. I know Jei Shoa is aware of all of this after our lengthy discussions. The county knows chickens are a hot topic, just not hot enough to act on. And after being misquoted in the 9/2014 planning/zoning meeting notes - I am sure where the county stands on this. That's why I encourage everyone to write their commissioners. No voices - chickens won't be heard.

Best of luck with your issues and hope the warnings are just that, warnings, and you will not have to remove your hens from your property.

They haven't cited me yet. The only thing I have received is a letter that says chickens are allowed in AG but not in RES but no ordinance is listed.

Back
Top Bottom