Charming Chicken House

So I added the frame of the base. I think I will use the pallet wood vertically on the base as well to add some protection on two sides maybe three.

Looks great. I just finished taking my 2 shipping crates apart. 7 hours. Lotsa nails.

I look forward to seeing your run. Did you go about 2 feet up on the base?

I have 13. However this coolp is for my family in Michigan. They want 6 hens. This cool with hold 6-8. I will make the run later this weekend.

I didn't draw up any plans on this one due to the fact I was limited on available lumber from the shed and pallets.

The bottom is basically 4X4. So that is my footprint. I tried to make sure the doors could fit full sized chickens.
Unfortunately 4x4 is a bit (no, way too) small for 6-8 birds...especially in Michigan winters.....and with your nests the floor space is really only about 2x4.
I wouldn't try to keep more than 2-3 adult birds in there, but it was make a kickbutt growout coop for chicks

I'm thinking of putting a 16' run out the back that is covered. As this year my family had almost 2' of snow fall on the ground. There are still remnants of snow even now. For them the space is needed. Myself I free range 90% of the time so all I usually need is the hen house not the run. I do have 8' of roosting bars for them wich should fit em nice and cozy at night but nothing to speak of during the day. So I will need to roof the run to keep the snow off.

Thanks for the input.

I'm thinking of putting a 16' run out the back that is covered. As this year my family had almost 2' of snow fall on the ground. There are still remnants of snow even now. For them the space is needed. Myself I free range 90% of the time so all I usually need is the hen house not the run. I do have 8' of roosting bars for them wich should fit em nice and cozy at night but nothing to speak of during the day. So I will need to roof the run to keep the snow off.

Thanks for the input.
Yep a good solid roof and maybe even plastic or something more substantial on 2 or more sides of run during winter should help a great deal.

If your family is only planning on keeping 6 birds then the coop only really needs 3 nest boxes at most. It looks like you have 8 in that coop. You could always remove the dividers from one side to allow the birds more usable square footage.

Back
Top Bottom