Chase the chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shrader, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    My 9 girls are now almost 5 weeks old and they love spending their days in the yard. I haven't built a fence yet, so they're still pretty much free-ranging it. Problem is, when it comes time to herding them inside for the night, there's one little stinker who bolts. And I spend a good half hour a night chasing her. Now, I'll admit, I've laughed and laughed watching her little legs hot-foot it away from me. But it does get tiresome. And I'm afraid she might get hurt. Does anyone have a suggestion? Is there a chicken catching net or anything? Thanks.

2. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Some chicken scratch will normally work that is what I will use if I have a little stinker, I’ll toss a little in the pen and she will join the rest not wanting to miss out on the goodies.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  3. gavbarker

gavbarker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    Lol i know what you mean i was chacing one of mine around a full farm the other day as it escaped i think you could use a net of any sort as long as t was big enough and didnt hurt it. Another thing might be to put some bread down and try picking it up when its eating that might work.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I get lazy and find that chicks that run away will evetualy hunker down and you can just pick them up provided you konw where they decided to sit. Other wise, I find that alone chick will gravitate towards the rest of them when it learns it is alone.

If you really want to catch it, get a large fishing net and just pop it over her.

5. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
  6. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    There are nets to catch chickens some look like fishing nets to coop the fish up but on a long pole i don't really agree with this since they can hart then selves by rippig a nail. But theres also this staff that looks like the staff bowpeep would have to grab her lambs but smaller a quick way to make one is get a staff like a broom handle get a clothes hanger cut the end off that holds on to the hook duct tape it to the end of the shaft bend it in a little and what you do is the hook the chickens leg they usually do this for chickens that have not been handled. or you could buy one from a chicken supplie store

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Besides treats tossed in the area you want the bird to go to, I find it easier to herd the chicks instead of chasing them. Be slow and patient and keep getting in their way. I sometimes take a long stick and hold it in front of them when they try to go in a different direction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by