1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chaser Chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrswack, May 31, 2007.

1. mrswack

mrswack New Egg

May 31, 2007
    Hi all, I'm a new chicken keeper and am wondering what the chickens want when the follow me round, they have enough food and not sure if they want petting so don't want to scare them!

Any idea's?

Also, I would like to give them the occassional treat, what is good for them and will make them more friendly?

Any advice welcome for a newbie! I have 4 red goldlines if that helps...

2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    They love you and you are the mommy. I wish mind would follow me
    [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

They are following thier "momma" thats what they see you as, and are looking for treats I am sure. You can pick them up, and hold them....its good for them actually. Keeps them friendly. Its so cute to see them follow. I have a group of RIR/mix that are just over a year old now, they follow me all over the yard when I am out there.

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Point out the things that you want them to eat. Use your finger to "peck at" the item. Chickens love crickets, clover (torn into small bits), oats, cracked corn (not too much), wheat, you can peck at their food and grit, but that's not a special treat.

I would sit down with the treat and let them play all around me. Chickens are gentle, they can eat right out of your hand. When you handle the birds take your index finger and gently ruffle up the feathers around their heads and necks. Mine like it I think because it's like preening. Just move slowly, they already trust you.

Your birds love you! [​IMG]

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I think they just love you! Mine follow me all around. It's nice, when I come home from the store or where ever, they come running up my driveway. Now if only my DH were that excited. [​IMG] It's like they are asking "hey, what'd you bring me? Where have you been?" My favorite is when I open my front door and they are all standing on my doorstep. I feel like a chicken whisperer or something. [​IMG]

6. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Be glad. Mine don't really want anything to do with me, and not sure why. I've fed them by hand and held them every day when they were smaller. They run from me like I'm a monster or something. Even when I have a treat, they're hesitant to come over to me. [​IMG]

7. LilyRoseDaisy

LilyRoseDaisy Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2007
    Sunny Arizona
    Quote:They LOVE fresh grass, leafy greens, and mine go crazy over tomatoes, sesame seeds, and raisins!! [​IMG]

8. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Quote:I feel ya. Only Rowdy will come up to me and it is usually to peck me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by