Chasing hens and aggressive behavior

nikadoodle

Chirping
Jul 25, 2013
Hello! New here and just wondering if I could get a little help.

My hens are 20 weeks (3 of them) and 22 weeks (2 of them). They have all been together since the youngest were 3 weeks.

They have my entire backyard garden area to run around in. A big coop. Free access to water and feed. The kids give them leftover veggie scraps and the chickens in turn tolerate them ;) they have been outdoors since late august.

As far as I can tell they are all hens although no eggs yet. We have a black, blue and 2 splash Americanas (the two splashes are the older ones). And one lavender Orpington. The one splash had a darker red area around the beak but no truly pronounced comb. That one looks like it's constantly trying to escape the large fenced in area as it runs back and forth pacing the perimeter.

Recently Ive noticed the other splash chasing the black chicken like crazy. Head down full on trampling over and then running like crazy all over the place. Once in a while the splash will also go up to the blue and do the same. The Orpington seems to be left alone.

Anyhow question is....is that normal? They've been together a long time shouldn't the pecking order have been established? Also any idea if the other splash could be a roo? It is louder than the others as well, especially when being held.

I will try to add pics. Thanks for any help.

The one at the bottom is the chaser. The one up top is the louder/keeps trying to escape.

Same as above.

Here they are feeding together. I threw a cupful of feed and oats so I could get pics!! And they are standing on one of my raised garden beds. They have free range all day.

They all look like hens to me. Its not uncommon for the pecking order to change from time to time as they are maturing.
It makes me think that they may be getting ready to start laying!!
big_smile.png

Aw really?! That's awesome. Especially since the one with the redder comb is my youngest daughters and she would be so sad if we had to give it up.

I hope the pictures are ok, I took them with my phone so they aren't the best quality.

Thank you so much again. I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom