Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Pics
Ah, man :hmm As long as you have them on a proper feed and have provided oyster shell on the side, they should figure it out eventually, though. :fl
They're on Nutrena All Flock, plus I have crushed AND flaked oyster out there free choice. 🥲

I should point out that I have no religious convictions. I have however read the bible and many other books on religion.
Same. Reading the Bible is what made me an atheist. 🤣🤣

They're on Nutrena All Flock, plus I have crushed AND flaked oyster out there free choice. 🥲

Any time I'm even a little unsure they're eating their oyster shell, they get a calcium pill in the beak. I've got a new layer and an inconsistent layer (a couple shell-less eggs, etc.) and I pilled them both yesterday. I figure it's a good way for their bodies to realize what "full up" on calcium feels like, and hopefully encourage good oyster shell habits.

Any time I'm even a little unsure they're eating their oyster shell, they get a calcium pill in the beak. I've got a new layer and an inconsistent layer (a couple shell-less eggs, etc.) and I pilled them both yesterday. I figure it's a good way for their bodies to realize what "full up" on calcium feels like, and hopefully encourage good oyster shell habits.
Well that's one way to nip it in the bud quick! I'll keep in mind. I'm pretty sure it's all just new layer stuff, so I'm going to give them a bit to work things out (even though it's disheartening when youve been waiting for those precious eggs!), but I'm not opposed to trying your method if things don't harden up.

I just came in from checking again and had this beauty in the corner of the run (nice hard shell, no holes 🙌) and I've got another gal in the nest box as I'm typing!! 🥰
20230131_094814.jpg

I also use Nutrena feeds, usually All Flock. The chickens get scraps + leftover milk and free range the pastures (more swamp than pasture this week). They have oyster shell. I have seen them picking at the salt, mineral & selenium blocks that are out. They annoyingly toss around loose goat minerals and I have no idea if they are filing their beaks or just doing weird chicken things. No illnesses for years. Hawks, stewpot and accidents are the only real cause of death in my chickens
They all absolutely shut down their laying over Christmas when the temps got so low for about 6 days/nights. That freeze coincided with the shortest days of the year and birds finishing their moult. There was absolutely nothing unusual about the egg production stoppage, the only times they don't do it is during the years with no freeze whatsoever or the occasional year when I have mostly yearling hens. The main thing I have going for me is 30+ years in the same location with the same setup, feed store and types of birds. And when my memory fails, I have planner notes. The 2 brown leghorns just started laying last week followed by (probably) the ancona, and one of the EE's has joined in. I expect full nest boxes within a couple of weeks.
My hens do quit laying when the weather is bad and right now we seem to be having a lot of high wind/severe storm activity/torrential rain about 3 days each week. Nobody ever drops eggs on the 2nd day of storming. It's like it takes a day to turn their bodies off. The first day of the storm I get eggs but none the second or third. Anyone else seen that?

Never heard of it being made with that. We've always done it with, ham, & bacon, or both. Of course with carrots, & celery too.
I got the recipe the first time off Pinterest. It's under White Bean, Sausage, Spinach Soup. I toss in carrots and potato's too and I use Spicy V-8 and chicken broth as the base with lot's of garlic. My kids always preferred the ham and bacon way for sure!

I got the recipe the first time off Pinterest. It's under White Bean, Sausage, Spinach Soup. I toss in carrots and potato's too and I use Spicy V-8 and chicken broth as the base with lot's of garlic. My kids always preferred the ham and bacon way for sure!
Sounds interesting.

Bacon makes everything better.

Well that's one way to nip it in the bud quick! I'll keep in mind. I'm pretty sure it's all just new layer stuff, so I'm going to give them a bit to work things out (even though it's disheartening when youve been waiting for those precious eggs!), but I'm not opposed to trying your method if things don't harden up.

I just came in from checking again and had this beauty in the corner of the run (nice hard shell, no holes 🙌) and I've got another gal in the nest box as I'm typing!! 🥰View attachment 3391489

Woohoo, congrats!! :yesss:

My hens do quit laying when the weather is bad and right now we seem to be having a lot of high wind/severe storm activity/torrential rain about 3 days each week. Nobody ever drops eggs on the 2nd day of storming. It's like it takes a day to turn their bodies off. The first day of the storm I get eggs but none the second or third. Anyone else seen that?

It takes a little over 24 hours on average for them to make an egg, so it actually makes a lot of sense that they'd have one on board getting ready to lay the first day of the storms and then put the next egg on pause afterwards. 🙂

Bacon makes everything better.

...I also don't like bacon. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom