Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Pics
My uncle lived to be 96 and died in 2020. I had lost touch (really, cut off contact, long story) and in 2020, I realized he was the last of my living blood relatives older than I. So I called him up. He'd been in the Air Force and served in WWII at the very end, and spent a few years in Korea.

I asked him if he believed in God. His answer was, "Of course not!" in the same tone as if I'd asked him if he believed in the Tooth Fairy. I was NOT going to try to convince him otherwise, I truly wondered if he did.

I talked to him a couple more times, and except for Covid, I would have gone to visit. (That didn't seem like a good idea.) We never got around to any discussion of religion or beliefs; mostly I asked him questions about his mom/my grandmother.

I really wanted to know what had happened, or what he had seen or read in his life that proved to him that God did not exist. I know he saw some horrible things during his time in the service.

I am always curious as to what people believe, and how they came to their beliefs. I won't try to change them, or argue with them.
My grandpa was 86, served in the Navy, & Died October 2022. He was Christian.

The Battle ship he was on.
Screenshot_20230131-114556_Chrome.jpg
Apparently my grandpa was wanting to die for awhile, & prayed to do so in sleep for years, but instead he just lived longer.

Last edited:
I am always curious as to what people believe, and how they came to their beliefs. I won't try to change them, or argue with them.
I'm agnostic. I'm open to the possibility that there is some kind of higher power out there, because logic and science simply can't explain everything. I grew up in the United Methodist Church and was very active through HS. Being Methodist is about as non-religious as you can be in a religion, in all honesty. They taught me to ask questions, challenge logical fallacy, and reinforced my critical thinking. Ultimately, looking at many religions with that critical eye is what led me away from organized faith. I still consider myself a spiritual person, and like I said, I am willing to accept that there may be a higher power out there. However, I'm a scientist at heart. Said supreme entity is going to have to show up and demonstrate their divinity before I'm going to convert. I'm not willing to accept my fellow man's word for this.

I still consider myself a spiritual person
I once heard someone say, "Religion is for people who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there."

I've known people who had/have very firm beliefs in God, and it brought them much comfort. I'm happy for them. Finding strength and comfort in something (especially in this day and age) is a good thing.

The agnostic's prayer: "Oh God if there is one, save my soul if I have one."
I know that's a quote from someone famous just don't remember who.

Back to the chicken feed...I just came home from a feed store run and that place is all abuzz with rumors about TSC, Purina feed and some big chicken producers. I think a national network ran a story.
As I don't have a TV, I cannot confirm.

Having bacon pancakes for breakfast today :p .

I'm agnostic. I'm open to the possibility that there is some kind of higher power out there, because logic and science simply can't explain everything. I grew up in the United Methodist Church and was very active through HS. Being Methodist is about as non-religious as you can be in a religion, in all honesty. They taught me to ask questions, challenge logical fallacy, and reinforced my critical thinking. Ultimately, looking at many religions with that critical eye is what led me away from organized faith. I still consider myself a spiritual person, and like I said, I am willing to accept that there may be a higher power out there. However, I'm a scientist at heart. Said supreme entity is going to have to show up and demonstrate their divinity before I'm going to convert. I'm not willing to accept my fellow man's word for this.
I concur with all that you said here. In fact I could write the same paragraph but in the middle it would say that I went to Catholic HS and it was because they would not support healthy debate, challenges and questions, that I got in trouble and grew out of it. My Dad who was Vice Chancellor at the University told the Principal/Sister that instead of being disappointed, he was proud of me and that I belonged up the hill in College instead of this HS. ALL I ever wanted to do was have respectful conversation with open minded people who would consider all possibility and not just words written by men in an old book. That idea alone is enough to get people very angry and I find it off-putting, it doesn't make me want to join any organized faith club where I can't use my mind.

Pancakes are something I've gotten lazy about. Eggo does a reasonable job for a decent price and they are nuke-and-eat. I will make them from scratch if we're doing "breakfast for dinner" and I need more than a couple at a time, but otherwise I'll take the tradeoff in time saved vs making my own.
I've worked pretty hard at replacing my Costco shopping habit with local and extreme local (my garden,) but there is one Costco must have that I feel compelled to share with the world: Pre-cooked bacon. I call it the Costco Yayo. It's only 45calories/slice. Its SO easy, nuke 1minute for crispy bacon goodness and it's not turkey or tofurkey or vegan or cardboard, it's hog. It's yum. And I actually lost 35lbs. before a Hawaii trip, Eating Bacon!! You're Welcome!

I've worked pretty hard at replacing my Costco shopping habit with local and extreme local (my garden,) but there is one Costco must have that I feel compelled to share with the world: Pre-cooked bacon. I call it the Costco Yayo. It's only 45calories/slice. Its SO easy, nuke 1minute for crispy bacon goodness and it's not turkey or tofurkey or vegan or cardboard, it's hog. It's yum. And I actually lost 35lbs. before a Hawaii trip, Eating Bacon!! You're Welcome!
The Kirkland brand bacon is good too, and um, it's only about a minute a slice to nuke from raw...

The blue package stuff.

However, I'm a scientist at heart. Said supreme entity is going to have to show up and demonstrate their divinity before I'm going to convert. I'm not willing to accept my fellow man's word for this.

This is similar to my point of view as well, except for that I have come to the conclusion that a 'higher power' such as is described in the religions I've been exposed to does not logically make sense to me based on how the rest of the world works, so I'm more in the atheist camp than agnostic. I consider such a being along the same lines as mermaids and other mythical creatures that the people of the past made up to explain phenomena that they didn't have the technology to explore and understand. 🙂 I grew up without religion, with agnostic parents who encouraged me and my siblings to find what made sense to us, and atheism was what made the most sense to me. My dad has since 'found god' and tries sometimes to convince me of his beliefs, but I am unswayed without any tangible proof of such a being existing. Someone 'just knowing' or 'feeling' that a god exists is not enough evidence for me.

I am also unswayed in my belief that bacon is yucky even if it's from Costco. :tongue

Slight edit for clarity

Last edited:
To me, the only God(gods)are extraterrestrials, who are our makers. We once were a slave species to our makers.
Just my point of view on this whole god matter, don't make fun of me?:oops:Just very open the possibility.

Back
Top Bottom