Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
OK so now that we've cleared up the BIN issue lol
lau.gif
! Can I ask another newbie question? The heat packs that are sent with the eggs. . . What are those? How hot do they get?

OK so now that we've cleared up the BIN issue lol
lau.gif
! Can I ask another newbie question? The heat packs that are sent with the eggs. . . What are those? How hot do they get?
never had one shipped with the eggs. but i;m guessing they are basically the "Hot hands" packets they sell. honestly i would not recommend using them because it could start the incubation process and killing the embryo from the temp fluctuations. some people have hatched refrigerated eggs. so i think the cold is better for them.

Thanks I'm from a hot climate so we rarely need to worry about heat or staying warm. Keeping from burning alive in 120 degrees on the other hand is a constant worry in the summer.

Thanks I'm from a hot climate so we rarely need to worry about heat or staying warm. Keeping from burning alive in 120 degrees on the other hand is a constant worry in the summer.
It depends alot on where the eggs are shipped from and where they are going too. For instance Texas is balmy this time of year....michigan was -2 last night, so the eggs would start out fine in Texas and by the time they get here could have been in very very low temps for an extended period of time. Which is why some people like heat packs.

i am of the no heat pack school of thought for the reason just mentioned.

Eggs leave 60F texas with heat pack making the eggs over 60F, eggs get to michigan 2-3 days later the heat packs ran out of juice after the first 18hrs max. So now the eggs are sitting in a warehouse or on a truck at 30-45F or in a delivery vehicle at ??? temp. So you effectively started the incubation process in texas and then chilled the eggs down to fridge temp or lower.

If you want a real world example do the following:
Put an egg or two in a box with a heat pack (keep the box around a reasonable temp 60ish...if your doing the texas test lol)
Wait 18-20hrs
Put the egg/s in the fridge
Wait 30-54hrs
Put the egg/s in your incubator
See if anything develops....i would find it doubtful

Oh that makes sense, I've never even had to worry about warmth so I was clueless about them. Ya I think I'll stay away especially since most eggs are coming from colder areas to my warmer climate. Thanks so so much for the info. I'm a junkie right now. I can't seem to get enough knowledge!;)

In my opinion, it is a good idea to include a heat pack if the weather is freezing or below freezing. I ordered 3 sets of eggs in January, and the ones that had an included heat pack were the only ones to develop. It could just be a coincidence, though. The eggs were double boxed with a heat pack on the outside of the inside box, so there was a bit of insulation between the eggs and heat pack. Just wanted to give my experience.

In my opinion, it is a good idea to include a heat pack if the weather is freezing or below freezing. I ordered 3 sets of eggs in January, and the ones that had an included heat pack were the only ones to develop. It could just be a coincidence, though. The eggs were double boxed with a heat pack on the outside of the inside box, so there was a bit of insulation between the eggs and heat pack. Just wanted to give my experience.
Thank you I appreciate it so much! I'll have to keep in mind where my eggs are coming from in the future. It very rarely gets colder than freezing in my area but others may be shipping from a colder area.

I was thinking, if someone wanted a heat pack, I could tape it against one end of the box and put padding between the heat pack and the eggs. That should give enough heat to keep the box from freezing, but the eggs wouldn't get hot enough to develop. Does that sound like a good idea?

I was thinking, if someone wanted a heat pack, I could tape it against one end of the box and put padding between the heat pack and the eggs. That should give enough heat to keep the box from freezing, but the eggs wouldn't get hot enough to develop. Does that sound like a good idea?
Sounds like it would work. The only eggs i have seen with a heat pack had the heat pack in the inside box with the eggs...literally sitting on top of the eggs, so the only barrier was the bubblewrap around the eggs, not a stellar idea.

Back
Top Bottom