Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
I put 77 eggs in an incubator that only holds 50. I stacked them, but it was not heating evenly. I ended up pulling about 15 clears and 5 quitters. Now I have one layer of eggs and the temps are constant. Then the power went out. I'll know in a couple of days if the hatch is successful. My incubator is cheap, so that is probably an issue, but I think I need to resist temptation next time and only put one layer of eggs in there!

I have a question that I didn't see an answer to on the Auction Rules page. If someone has an auction up and you live near that someone do you still need to pay for shipping if you can pick up the eggs instead? Of course I would pay immediately online.

I have a question that I didn't see an answer to on the Auction Rules page. If someone has an auction up and you live near that someone do you still need to pay for shipping if you can pick up the eggs instead? Of course I would pay immediately online.
It depends on the seller...you can always pm the seller and ask if it is possible to pick them up. Some sellers are fine with meeting in public or at their home....others have had bad experiences with buyers trying to talk them into more eggs then they wanna pay for etc and not being able to put their foot down and say no you paid for this, you get this. So really just ask in pm. i have asked sellers on ebay if i could pick-up 2 said yes and 1 said no.

If it were me, I would have them pay cash when they pick them up. If they preferred to pay Paypal first before they came out, that would be ok too.

It depends on the seller...you can always pm the seller and ask if it is possible to pick them up. Some sellers are fine with meeting in public or at their home....others have had bad experiences with buyers trying to talk them into more eggs then they wanna pay for etc and not being able to put their foot down and say no you paid for this, you get this. So really just ask in pm. i have asked sellers on ebay if i could pick-up 2 said yes and 1 said no.
Oh ok. Yeah that makes since. I just didn't want to have eggs go from a town right by ours all the way to Atlanta (2 1/2 hours away) then back to us. Seems kind'a crazy to put the eggs through all that stress. I will check with sellers in our area when they post egg auctions. Thanks!

others have had bad experiences with buyers trying to talk them into more eggs then they wanna pay for etc and not being able to put their foot down and say no you paid for this, you get this.

My biggest problem is with people responding to my Craig's List ads.

I sell cull roosters or hens (as "laying" hens), or sometimes when I'm finished with a project or experimental pen, I sell them off as layers (people around here don't know what Marans are, but they know what brown egg layers are and they know what roosters for butchering are).

I have holding pens for the chickens for sale down at the end of the barnyard by the alley, but people can look down to the other end and see that I have a LOT of chickens. They simply can't understand why I can't spare a couple more chickens.

Last edited:
Someone from these threads or from a group I belong to, I would say yes. (I like chicken people). I've had a few of my neighbors 'drop by'. But, the general public ... NO!

I don't like people coming to our place. We had tons of birds and I don't want the general public knowing what or how many I have. If its not listed, its not listed for a reason...

I have my pens hidden behind my house and behind my shed on the back of the hill. You can't see it from the road but you can if you pull in to the driveway and come up to the house. The gate stays locked for a reason.

We live in Wilkes county GA and my DH works out of Athens so we can get to Augusta or Athens in about an hour from the house or when he is at work well he can go anywhere in Athens area pretty quick. I have lost a lot going through the Atlanta mail system so if I can get it what I call "local" I do. I ordered chicks last year that came through the Atlanta mail area and missed the truck from Atl to our house so they sent them to Athens not even knowing that it was close to where my DH worked. I watched the tracking extremely close on those chicks and when I found out they had missed the mail truck to our post I called our Post Master and he traced them for me. My DH was able to go to the post they took them to in Athens and get them by showing his DL and because the Post Master here had called them.

Back
Top Bottom