Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
Yesterday I drove by a place that I have driven past dozens of times and have never seen any fowl. However, yesterday they had at least 100 geese out there and maybe 50 or more ducks. They were crammed in a little lot that couldn't have been more than a 1/2 acre. It was totally muddy , but the birds seemed happy. If I had that many birds and lived on a well traveled road, I'd be putting up a big fence!

I don't like people coming to our place. We had tons of birds and I don't want the general public knowing what or how many I have. If its not listed, its not listed for a reason...

I have my pens hidden behind my house and behind my shed on the back of the hill. You can't see it from the road but you can if you pull in to the driveway and come up to the house. The gate stays locked for a reason.
Every time i sell a bird on craigslist they always ask for my home address and because it always sounds so sketchy i ask them to meet me somewhere. To people who don't know about chickens it probably seems weird to be paranoid about someone stealing them but us chicken people know that those 10 birds walking around the yard are worth at least $100 in the market. Not considering the rare breeds

Last edited:
If I'm selling something I think the buyer has every right to come see the parents or how my animals are kept. If people don't want that then sell through auctions. In my experience people who don't want to show you their animals have something to hide.

Never anything for me to hide. I like to bring people over to see my chickens. I guess I am too nieve, as I trust easily. I am not a big seller of chickens either. Kern

If I'm selling something I think the buyer has every right to come see the parents or how my animals are kept. If people don't want that then sell through auctions. In my experience people who don't want to show you their animals have something to hide.
I guess if you have an actual farm you could do this but most of us have our birds in our backyard and with only a few birds not much to look at. a few photos would suffice if they asked i guess.

i have a newbie question for you guys. If you buy purebred chickens that are supposed to be from certain lines or of a certain stock, how do you know that is what you are getting? Do chickens have any kind of registration papers like horses and dogs? Does anyone require DNA testing for shows? Is it more of an honor system type of thing (Buy from people you trust)?

I've only really had hatchery birds in the past but was wondering about how the good breeders do it.

i have a newbie question for you guys.  If you buy purebred chickens that are supposed to be from certain lines or of a certain stock, how do you know that is what you are getting?  Do chickens have any kind of registration papers like horses and dogs?  Does anyone require DNA testing for shows?  Is it more of an honor system type of thing (Buy from people you trust)?

I've only really had hatchery birds in the past but was wondering about how the good breeders do it.

Generally no papers or DNA tests.
It comes down to doing your homework.
Know what you are buying and research who you are buying from.

If you rush in you could end up with anything.

Also we are talking chickens here not horses or dogs tha can cost thousands of $$.

Last edited:
Generally no papers or DNA tests.
It comes down to doing your homework.
Know what you are buying and research who you are buying from.

If you rush in you could end up with anything.

Also we are talking chickens here not horses or dogs tha can cost thousands of $$.

Gotcha. So it's more of a phenotype not genotype thing. It's just breeding to the Standard of Perfection for that breed. So say for example your birds (breed ABC) had some fault like bad leg color that you couldn't correct with available breeding stock from that breed, you could add in another breed (XYZ) that had the leg color that you needed?

I know that would create a nightmare of other unwanted traits you would spend forever breeding back out of them, but it would be allowed? If so, that's really cool.

Yep, it is breed to phenotype.
Breeders that show and win will be most likley to have birds closest to SOP.
You could breed in traits from other breeds but it will likley take several generations to loose the host of unwanted features. Usually there are birds of the particular breed you are working on that have the feature you want. After all birds that met the SOP had to have been available at some point.

Yep, it is breed to phenotype.
Breeders that show and win will be most likley to have birds closest to SOP.
You could breed in traits from other breeds but it will likley take several generations to loose the host of unwanted features. Usually there are birds of the particular breed you are working on that have the feature you want. After all birds that met the SOP had to have been available at some point.
Thank you so much for being so helpful. I think that answers all of my annoying questions. For now anyways.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom