Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

I just replaced some that got frozen in memphis for a few days...
I really really am coming to the conclusion that writing anything on the box causes slowed shipping/ damage.
The people having the BEST hatch rates didnt want anything on their box other than addresses.

I really really am coming to the conclusion that writing anything on the box causes slowed shipping/ damage.
The people having the BEST hatch rates didnt want anything on their box other than addresses.

Gotta agree with you on this one as well.
Besides, the priority boxes are DUMPED out of bins onto conveyor belts, etc. with other boxes that can weigh up to 70 pounds. It's just luck most of the time whether or not a heavy box lands on the eggs. Not very many people read the boxes, but when they do, it's probably a good idea NOT to draw attention to them. For instance, so many people want me to write, "please no x-ray".
Sounds like a red flag to me. Of course they should x-ray a box like that. I think though, that maybe they only x-ray boxes that are going on international flights.....
My postmaster told me that it makes not one bit of difference to write "Fragile" or "This end up" or anything else. Unfortunately, I have had buyers insist that I replace eggs that were scrambled because I hadn't written something on the box. One guy even insisted that the eggs were bad and didn't even try to incubate them because I hadn't written "Do Not X-ray"!

The only thing I really would like buyers to have me put on the boxes is "Hold for Pick up" with their number. Especially in Hot or cold weather.

I usually write Fragile, Perishable, and EGGS.

I don't use overly intelligent $20 words like "live embryo"

I like to keep it to simple everyday words that postal workers already have a definition for.

The first two they actually have stamps for stamping pacages.

Fragile - this can break easily

Perishable - if you keep this around awhile it will stink!
sickbyc.gif

EGGS - postal workers don't like things that ooze and may be hard to clean up from equipment and vehicles.

I write NPIP # on the label also so it looks official.

I found out some interesting shipping information yesterday. As TJChickens mentioned, all boxes (except lives) are dumped out and machine sorted on conveyor belts (no matter what you write or draw on the box). Unless...you purchase a service called Special Handling! It ensures your package will be hand sorted instead of mechanically sorted. It is pretty costly ($9.30 for up to 10 lbs), but I would consider it worth it if I ordered expensive eggs. You can't add the service on Click & Ship online; it has to be added at the counter. However, you can still buy the regular postage and print your label online to get the discount and you can add the service separately when you bring the package to the PO. They mark the box to show it has Special Handling.

I have goose eggs being shipped to me with it now. Nearly every goose egg I have received through the mail this season has had a blown air cell. Hoping this will make a difference. I'll report my findings. :)

I found out some interesting shipping information yesterday. As TJChickens mentioned, all boxes (except lives) are dumped out and machine sorted on conveyor belts (no matter what you write or draw on the box). Unless...you purchase a service called Special Handling! It ensures your package will be hand sorted instead of mechanically sorted. It is pretty costly ($9.30 for up to 10 lbs), but I would consider it worth it if I ordered expensive eggs. You can't add the service on Click & Ship online; it has to be added at the counter. However, you can still buy the regular postage and print your label online to get the discount and you can add the service separately when you bring the package to the PO. They mark the box to show it has Special Handling.

I have goose eggs being shipped to me with it now. Nearly every goose egg I have received through the mail this season has had a blown air cell. Hoping this will make a difference. I'll report my findings.
smile.png

Please do let us know. I sometimes ship expedited. It's supposed to be human handled and gets there within two days guaranteed. It usually costs $30 and up. I wonder if it's basically the same thing.? What you're saying sounds like it might be cheaper though....

I have goose eggs being shipped to me with it now. Nearly every goose egg I have received through the mail this season has had a blown air cell. Hoping this will make a difference. I'll report my findings.
smile.png

Please do share your findings...My express guy just throws the boxes in his express bag for delivery to the post office. It's such a crapt shoot and it's really disheartening when you pay the extra money to get it there safe and on time only to have it take extra days and freeze, or arrive with a big ding in the box. I wonder what they do with the live chick boxes?

Thankfully, all the BYC members I have purchased from KYTinpusher, Bama1, Sonew are amazing packers. If any egg has a chance with the post office it's one of theirs!!!

Bamadude, you are a good guy to replace those eggs. I am sure your buyer appreciated it. One of my sellers did that for me and I am very grateful to her!

Oddly, we also noticed that any box with no writings arrived pretty much unscathed too. The ones with something written on them had dings. I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason...

Bamadude, you are a good guy to replace those eggs. I am sure your buyer appreciated it.  One of my sellers did that for me and I am very grateful to her!

Oddly, we also noticed that any box with no writings arrived pretty much unscathed too. The ones with something written on them had dings.  I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason...

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom