Chattering beak should I be worried?

LakeGooseBerry

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2014
My pet goose is 5 years old. She spends about half her time outside rambling around our yard and half the time inside with us. In the past couple days She has been doing this weird thing where she stands with her head drooping (like when she is drowsy) and her beak does a rapid chattering movement. This chattering movement occurs even when she is tucked into her feathers sleeping. She has never done this before. Is this a symptom of something serious? I will try to include a video of this behavior.

In the past few months she has been losing more feathers than usual.

My goose does something like that when she's drowsy/napping and feeling safe. But it's more like "smacking of lips" for 5-10 seconds rather than very rapid "teeth chattering". She's done it since she was a gosling. The gander did the same thing when he was snuggling as a gosling. As an adult, he seems to think he always has to be watchful.

Thank you GooseGirl, My girl has a thing that she does when she is relaxed, safe and drowsy as well, and it actually looks similar to this new worrying behavior, so I know what you mean, but this is different. I tried to load a video but cannot figure out how to do it. Maybe someone can explain how to load a video.
It appears to be quite involuntary. If you can imagine a cold goose with chattering teeth, it is quite like that.

Also, are your geese friends house geese? If so have yours ever gone through periods of excessive feather loss? I'm not talking about the usual yearly molt. She already did that. This too is relatively new (within the last few months). Every morning feathers are covering her bed and I have a lot more feathers floating on my floor.

That does not sound good. The only time I had a goose go through another molt, the reason was severe illness. I've never seen the chattering you describe, and I don't know what might be causing it. The only thing I can think of is an allergic reaction to something you've introduced in your house within the last few months, like an automatic air freshener or a chemically treated rug.

Is she eating and drinking as usual? Has she lost weight?

When I post videos I upload them to YouTube and embed the link. That's the easiest way for me, because I have all my videos in one place and I can share them on other platforms as well.

What was the serious illness, were you able to treat him/her and did your goose get better?

She had a very large shellless egg stuck in her oviduct. I only found out after a couple of weeks when it had caused an infection, and she lost her appetite and had lost a lot of weight. She had surgery, was put on antibiotics, and we tube fed her. Sadly, the infection returned, and she was no longer strong enough to fight it. She died five weeks after the surgery.

Back
Top Bottom