Cheap coop ideas! We need some inspiration...

368BAAE6-AF24-4EFF-8720-20BCB9EDFD6C.jpeg
44525DD9-0630-44B9-A0BD-66C0336AC5F6.jpeg

The front is 6x9 run area... I’m going to run 1x2 rafters from the center ridge pole to the top of the walls giving me a peaked roof which will be a tarp stapled down over it. The rear 6x3 area will be roosts over a raised hardware cloth floor on the large side, and nesting boxes and a door with a plywood floor landing area. It will be walled in with ventilation in the peaked area.

We get a lot of rain, but rarely get much below freezing here so the “coop” part is mostly for a secure sleeping/laying area. I plan on using it primarily to isolate a breeding group of about 13 birds at a time. It will be on wheels so I can move it over fresh grass regularly.

The biggest expense so far is the hardware cloth for the run, but I bet you could use cheaper chicken wire or reused fencing materials to cut costs, as the chickens will be locked safely in the sleeping box at night. New lumber cost me about $100 CAD. I got a full roll of 19 gauge, 4 foot high, 3/4” hardware cloth for $189 (but that was for 100 feet of it, I’ve used less than 40). I had a bunch of screws and staples on hand as well from previous projects. My siding material is likewise leftovers.

I plan on making the next one out of pallets, (my feed store keeps giving them to me) and more scavenged materials, but wanted to build the first one out of more regular materials to see how it works.

Not cheap, but inexpensive. Cattle panel hoop coops. Other than the cattle panel, everything could be recycled. Even the panel if you look around

I dont have any ideas for coop plans but as far as materials, i have scored big time by watching craigs list
Also take a look at listings for yard and garage sales and estate auctions. We went to one farm estate auction and got the winning bid on wood contents of a huge barn for $10.00. It was 3 truck and trailor loads of lumber!
also habitat for humanity resale has ALOT of good stuff.
Many places give away used pallets. Lots of good hardwood boards there.
Watch for your local town and county clean up days. I am amazed sometimes what people thow away and put out in the alley for pickup. Rolls of fensing and buckets of nails to name a couple things i have picked up.
I would love to see your final design for your moovable coops!

Not cheap, but inexpensive. Cattle panel hoop coops. Other than the cattle panel, everything could be recycled. Even the panel if you look around
I really do intend on making the rest of my tractor fleet with less store bought pieces. I just need it up really quickly, and wanted the first build to go as smoothly as possible. ie: straight lumber of regular sizes to work with. I’m certain that they can be made far less expensively, with a little more time and work.

It’s 2/3... inexpensive, fast, and good quality. You can only pick two. If it’s going to be done fast and of good quality, it won’t be inexpensive. If you want it done well and inexpensively, it won’t be fast. You can get it done fast and inexpensively... but it won’t be done well!

Back
Top Bottom