Cheap Fencing Ideas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TSW99, Oct 25, 2014.

1. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    All my chickens free range on seven acres but lately they have been going to the neighbors garden and they have been complaining so I need a fairly large fence for my birds on a budget,wood and metal are both expensive are there any other materials I could use? Or what are some ideas on using less materials. This fence is not for protection its just to contain the birds.

2. Madmunki

Madmunki Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Buford, Ga
    Chicken wire and metal posts? Those green poles you pound in with a slide hammer.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Electric poultry netting, easy to move and cost competitive. If you have no worry about predators, you don't have to charge it.

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I love plastic deer netting, not the same as bird netting, though. You can get it at most Ace hardware stores or tractor supply stores. It's a tenth the cost of poultry netting and much easier to use, cuts with ordinary scissors. I use steal poles meant for electric fencing, but you can staple this stuff to trees and even fasten it to shrubbery. The tallest size is 8 feet x 100 feet long.

I roll it back up and store it when I'm not using it to keep the chickens out of my flower beds and veggie patches.

5. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    Thanks I went with a plastic netting that's yellow, at Lowes its not pretty though. If the chickens really want to jump it I suppose they could only being four feet tall but mainly the chickens follow my pekin duck which caint jump the fence so I think it should work. Besides I think if they come in contact with it they will just go the other direction. Next time I will go with the deer netting being cheaper.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Can you create a google earth map and label it using paint.

See mine below.

[​IMG]

With seven acres you are likely able to have options in addition to fencing.

7. reginacarbone

reginacarbone Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2015
    Northern NJ
    Great ideas

8. RockyFieldsFarm

RockyFieldsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    New England
    For the walls I've used chicken inexpensive chicken wire on Green poles. For the top I use bird netting and secure the top too the sides with zip ties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by