Cheap Geodesic Design.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MKEdomes, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MKEdomes

MKEdomes Hatching

Jan 11, 2018
    Hi all,

I've created a new geodesic hub design that offers a cheap and easy way to build domes. And I think it would be very useful for building chicken coops.

I'm basically re-purposing an existing packaging product that is currently used to suspend spools in square boxes. This is typically a throw-away product, which is why it is so cheap. Let me know what you think.

I recently showed the hubs at the Milwaukee Maker Faire. I had kids building a small dome inside a bigger dome. It was pretty fun.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The domes also held up pretty well to two days of abuse by the little ones.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of photos (with a close-up of the hub) from a small dome that I built for halloween.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I've also posted a video on Youtube:

In addition to feedback, anybody who is interested in getting there hands on them should shoot me an email at [email protected]. If you are willing to build a coop and let me know about your experience I'd be willing to ship you a kit of hubs. I'm interested in working with folks who can help refine the design; especially how best to cover it so predators can't get in.

Thanks for your time. Andrew Cegielski. Milwaukee, WI.

2. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    That's awesome! What a great idea! I'm in another country but I'm sure there'll be people on here keen to give you advice and try one of these out.

3. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    Looks neat. I love geodesic domes. The problem I have with them though is the roof. Everything is roof.

4. BBZZZZTT

BBZZZZTT Songster

Nov 1, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow. Unfortunately I just finished my coop... But I would LOVE to use these for a green house. I live in Milwaukee :)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might make a good run, covering it with protective mesh would be a challenge.

Would be hard to use as a coop tho due to.......
    Exactly!
    ...and all 'curves'.

I lived in a dome for a summer once way back when....sighs, reminiscing.

HenOnAJuneBug and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. What she said^^^ I live in an area where there a a few dome houses that come up for sale every so often, real estate broker here, and they all have water stains, although over the years I think they finally got them dry.

Gary

HenOnAJuneBug likes this.
  7. MKEdomes

MKEdomes Hatching

Jan 11, 2018
    I'm going to be installing a dome at the Victory Garden Urban Farm: 220 E Concordia Ave. Feel free to come over and check it out. I believe our build is going to be February 10th. If you can't make it over, shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you some pictures.

BBZZZZTT likes this.
  8. MKEdomes

MKEdomes Hatching

Jan 11, 2018
    It is certainly hard to deal with the curved walls and/or roof when a dome gets really tall.

However, my hubs allow for all types of angles, which is a unique feature. Thus, you can build a roof that is relatively flat by just building the top of a very large high frequency dome (like a 6V) and placing that on top of a round or square base. It would kinda look like a yurt.

9. MKEdomes

MKEdomes Hatching

Jan 11, 2018
    Thanks for sharing your experience Gary. I hope to avoid water problem with by domes (in more permanent structures) by utilizing a double shelled design. This is another unique feature of my hubs. The plug allows me to tie together a smaller dome inside a larger dome by connecting the hubs. The domes have to be the same frequency though.

Wind may push water through the first shell, but it won't make it through to the second shell thanks to the curved walls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: