1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cheap "scratch proof" feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OutInTheStiks, Sep 1, 2009.

1. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    I've saw several variations of the cheap bucket feeder. We built one for our banties that incorporates some fencing that keeps them from scratching all their feed out.

[​IMG]

The basic design is to take a small bucket, drill or cut small holes into the side and then attach it to a plastic plant saucer.

[​IMG]

To make the scrach guards, I took some left over 1" x 2" welded wire. I cut a strip long enough to wrap around the bucket. I left one end attached and cut the other end open as in the picture. Then I made a loop out of the wire. I slid the loop onto the bucket before I attached the saucer. Then i bent the wires down over the edge of the saucer. So far it has worked great at keeping the feed in the feeder and off the ground.

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    thanks

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Nicely done! Your "scratch guards" look like they'll be very effective.

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like it would work great and the idea of the guard could be used with larger or smaller containers to fit folks needs. Great pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by