cheapest/best place to get some meat birds, either by local farmer or online hatchery. . .

Thanks everyone, my desired price of around $1 would essentially be if I was able to find someone local and buy baby chicks I think. Going through a hatchery I can expect $1.50-$1.75 per, and if I go that route, I will reach out to people near me to see if anyone wants to go in on an order and make it a little cheaper.

At the my local Rural King store, they sell chicks at this time of year. They start them out at about $1.99 or so,but if you wait until they are getting feathers and haven't been sold yet, I have sen them drop the price as low as 10 cents. I know some feed stores and such sell chicks also, mabye the same type of arrangement would work for you there also.

i buy 500 at a time if you want post your number and i can call you i get them so cheap cause we buy 500 every other month and we dont pay shipping or anything. so let me know i dont sell under 30 and can sell up 500 at a time

Here is an idea if you aren't particular.

Cackle Hatchery has what they call a "frypan special" that is all cockerels of heavy breeds.

The price for 25 with shipping is $40.25. ($1.61 each)

The price of 50 with shipping is $55.75. ($1.115 each)

The price for 100 with shipping is $79. (.79 cents each) -- and they throw in either 5 exotic-breed chicks or 3 free ducks, your choice.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page10.html#frypanspecial

Last edited:
You are going to have to get them from a hatchery.

Central has them for under $1, but I think you have to order 100 of them. Maybe someone would split an order with you?

Some of the other smaller hatcheries on the East coast sell them pretty cheap. I'm drawing a blank on hatchery names, but you will find them if you do a little bit of reading in the meat bird section. (yes, do some research)

I order my meat birds from Central Hatchery. I order 100 at time and a friend take 25 and I keep 25 to raise and I sell the rest for about 1.50 each. That might something to consider. They cost 0.80 each. You can order as little as 50 from them but i think there is a $5-10 fee if you order less than 100. Their birds have grown well and we butchered them in about 8-10 weeks! They sell a few other breed also. I think Pullets are around $1.10, St Run are 0.80 and Cockerels are 0.50 each. Maybe you could order 50 RIR St run and you would probably have 30 or so Roos and get some hens also. Good luck on your search!

Nate

Nate

I have a spreadsheet up listing the most common hatcheries and their prices per quantity brack (25, 50, etc) with shipping. I'm in the process up updating it soon, but the prices should be pretty current still and can be used as a spring board for research. This is assuming shipping to Tennessee.

Here ya go: http://www.box.com/s/6q8y3rt2opi44v4tg1re

If anyone wants to help update the information, feel free to message me!

Back
Top Bottom