Check out my finished coop!

:welcome :frow Apparently the birds haven't been discovered by any predators yet. Depending on where you live, I think the space between the metal roof and top of the actual coop, a predator could climb the wire and sneak through between the 2x4's holding up the metal. I have both chicken wire and welded wire, but I also have electric wire around my coops and pens. We are rural and have a lot of predators here. Good luck and have fun...

:welcome :frow Apparently the birds haven't been discovered by any predators yet. Depending on where you live, I think the space between the metal roof and top of the actual coop, a predator could climb the wire and sneak through between the 2x4's holding up the metal. I have both chicken wire and welded wire, but I also have electric wire around my coops and pens. We are rural and have a lot of predators here. Good luck and have fun...

I am in rural Pennsylvania and we have a good bit of coyotes, fox, and even bear.
I luckily havnt had issues yet but your right about reinforcing it more.

Apparently you haven't had a loss yet and maybe you won't. I had to loose some birds first, which is learning the hard way. Luckily your run is covered so you won't have an issue with aerial predators, then there are the diggers, climbers and those who can find a way in that you never suspected. We have mostly coyotes, some bobcats, fox, possums, coons mostly and I had a skunk try to dig under a gate to get at some chicks. I know there are bears but I have never seen any. Maybe the coyotes keep them away. I hope you never experience any losses. Good luck...

Welcome to the BYC Forum :welcome

That's a very nice coop and run and looks perfect for your 4 hens. I really like your access to the nest boxes and your clean out door. Love your sliding window. I have the same type windows on my coop and they are great. I wish I could have built a hard top roof for my chicken run, but I had to settle for bird netting. Someday I would like to have a better roof system. It really looks like you spent some time and effort in both the design and build. Congratulations!

Do you lock the hens up in the coop at night? I see you have a chicken doorway and ramp, but don't know if you have a pop door that closes and locks the birds in the coop and the bad guys out for the night.

IF you do have predator concerns, I would certainly suggest a pop door that closes and locks the hens in their coop for the night, and/or using 1/2 inch mesh wire for the chicken run. Chicken wire is only strong enough to keep chickens inside the run, but it is not strong enough to keep most predators out.

I have 2X4 wire fencing, 6 foot tall, and bird netting on top. I consider my chicken run predator resistant. But I lock my girls up in their Fort Knox chicken coop every night. So far, there has been no predator issues.

The only other constructive comment I will offer is that chickens like to roost as high as possible. I can't tell from the picture, but it looks like your roost bar is at level, or slightly below, your nest boxes. Most people would recommend that your roost bar be higher than your nest boxes, or the chickens will end up roosting, and pooping, in your nest boxes at night. IF this becomes a problem, then you might raise the height of your roost bar and/or put a board across your nest boxes to prevent access at night.

It's a great looking coop and run and I am sure it will provide you with many years of service. Congratulations on the build.

Back
Top Bottom