Check out my "Peep Feeder"!

JadziaDax

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2015
Georgia, USA
One of my hens hatched two chicks two weeks ago (our first babies!). I put a small feeder with chick starter and a small waterer in the run since the babies are too small to reach the regular ones (and since they need the chick food). I've been frustrated by the big chickens eating all of the chick food and knocking/dirtying the water, necessitating twice daily food and water replenishment.

I finally solidified a plan in my head for a creep feeder of sorts and roped Hubby into helping me build it tonight. We used scrap wood and wire, so it was free, which is also a plus :)

I've dubbed it the "Peep Feeder" - since it's a creep feeder for peeps!

Front:

Back:

The wire on top is secured to the 2x4 on this side and the frame on the other side. You can lift the lid to access the feeder/waterer.

And a picture of the peeps:

One of my hens hatched two chicks two weeks ago (our first babies!).
Congrats on your lovely mama and her babes! :celebrate

That looks like a pretty good idea, I like it. :thumbsup

I could see my birds standing on top and pooing all over. :sick

Since I often have chicks, broody's, juveniles and roosters plus molting hens or what have you... and "layer" feed has added calcium that really is only appropriate for ACTIVE layers... I just feed everyone a 20% protein flock raiser... and put oyster shell on the side for the active layers free choice. Non laying birds try it but don't consume excess amounts usually. And the higher protein level... (than layer) is enjoyed by ALL flock members.. my birds enter molt less hard and recover faster, since making the switch. Starter or grower is also okay to feed the whole flock as long as a calcium source is provided.

I remember the days of my first broody raised chicks... I was astonished to see the hen take feed out from where the chicks couldn't reach... and put it down for them... even breaking up pieces that were too large. So funny to see them ride around on the top of their mama's! :love

Back
Top Bottom