Check out my tractor - bet it is one of a kind!!!

Cindy2348

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 31, 2009
Oxford, Nova Scotia
Give a man a hammer and you will be surprised what you will get!!! This is my chicken tractor my hubby is building for me, it is 8 feet wide and 4 1/2 feet deep. It is made out of a wind dome from a truck. We have two of these domes and will be making another as soon as this is done. The run part is pretty much finished too as of last night. I will post pics as soon as it is finished. We just need to complete the chicken door, shingle the roof and attach the wheels. It is going to be used for my BO chicks at this point until their coop is finished then my meat kings will be moving in. Their run will be 4 feet wide so we will have access to the man door at all times.

The front
38063_aug_2009_043.jpg

Side view - the dome about 4.5 feet deep
38063_aug_2009_041.jpg

A peek at the inside
38063_aug_2009_044.jpg

The back- we will be attaching a handle to pick it up and roll it
38063_aug_2009_042.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I'm nuts, but I think you should paint a beak and eyes on it and add a plywood comb...the big blue rooster head.

Quote:
Haha great idea, I am going to leave it up to my 12 yr old daughter to paint, I will surely pass along that idea to her!!!
The other dome we have is white.

Quote:
The really scarry thing is we are very new to chickens, who knows what we will end up with in a few months!!! We have 4 week old BO chicks with a couple of cochins and a Dominique the same age in with them. They will use the tractor first and then we have 1 wk old meat kings that will take advantage of it in a couple of weeks. Hopefully by then our main coop will be finished.

Well, now that we know that wind domes make good coops, there will be more of this kind in existence!
clap.gif
Good job! You're a genius for innovation!
clap.gif

I too find myself looking at things in people's discard piles & wondering what kind of coop or bird house I could make with it. But I've never seen anything done with a truck wind dome. I think it would also be a good place to hang food & water dispensers out of the weather.

I am wondering why you put a floor in it if it's going to be a portable tractor. Was it to keep the birds safe inside at night? I read that you're going to have an attatched run, so I guess this part is for them to sleep in.

Also, I wonder if you're planning to waterproof the particleboard you're using. I think that would disintegrate rather quickly if you didn't.

That blue shape certainly begs for some additional paint, the rooster head is a good idea, or at least some racing flames. I'm looking forward to the photos of the finished project!

This is just going to be their bedding area. It is raised so it will not be sitting directly on the ground preventing it from soaking up water but it will be sealed as well. We will be able to put a heat light in there too if necessary when chicks are young along with their food and water on rainy days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom