Check out this link!

Thanks for sharing I have seen and heard of ducks that lay their eggs in trees and then the babies have to jump down, that woudl be one scary jump imo...

Wow, I can't believe they said they can jump from OVER 200 ft high without getting hurt? That 20 ft jump looks scary enough!!! Thanks so much for sharing, my 8yr old dd will LOVE this...

Quote:
Since ducklings are just tiny fuzz balls, they'd reach terminal velocity pretty quickly so a fall from 200 ft probably doesn't have a harder impact than one from 20 feet.

Quote:
Since ducklings are just tiny fuzz balls, they'd reach terminal velocity pretty quickly so a fall from 200 ft probably doesn't have a harder impact than one from 20 feet.

Math/physics wise I suppose that's true, it's still just very surprising when you think of how high that is for such a small thing...even from 20 ft. That video was amazing.

Here's another neat link: http://www.ducks.org/Opening_Day/DuckFacts/3919/AmazingWaterfowlFacts.html

Among
all the other really neat facts listed, there's this one that ties into the topic:

BIG STEP To escape from predators, barnacle geese nest on cliffs up to 150 feet high along the Greenland coast. When the goslings hatch, they jump off the cliff and freefall to the ground or sea far below. The goslings are unharmed because their light, downy body effectively absorbs the impact. The same is true of wood duck and Canada goose broods that leap from nests high in trees. In some areas, nesting Canada geese regularly occupy abandoned raven and raptor nests in trees, giving the birds greater protection from land-based predators.

I know that I've occasionally had ducklings jump out of my hand and fall to the ground (and I'm pretty tall at 5'9", so that's a big fall), but they're always just fine!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom