1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

check this egg out...never saw one like this before

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wnthunting, Aug 24, 2011.

1. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    This egg was laying on the floor of our coop first thing this morning..our hens are only 18 weeks old and are just starting to lay.. we've had a few other soft shelled eggs, but nothin like this. Anyone know what causes this? [​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

wnhunting,
    That's very strange. Perhaps the pullets getting their laying mechanisms geared up for production. It will be interesting to see the other responses you get.

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Sounds like she needs more calcium

4. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    It looks like two eggs linked together ...maybe it was the start of a double yolker?

5. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    my ducks, or duck I should say did this when she first began to lay. the first egg was just a reg looking egg but it felt like a watter baloon. the next was the same but had a long flexable, almost saussage looking case on it, it was funny to me becuse all her regular eggs she was careful to lay in her nest but when she had one of these she always did it where I could see it. I think she was trying to tell me she needed some attention to her diet my husbend of course does not agree. I gave her spinch but hens you really have to be carful with becuse of crop trouble with stuff like that. I would give them some yougurt and well dried egg shells but I am a newbe to this game of chickens and ducks.

good luck...

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Crushed oyster shell.

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Wow, that is one funky looking egg! It looks like a soft shelled one, attached to a tiny soft shelled one, attached to a popped soft shelled one! What an oddity, thanks for posting it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by